Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch sticks to floor in heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch sticks to floor in heat

This has progressively gotten worse and worse. On a hot day, driving in traffic. If I hold the clutch down for 15 seconds it will not release. I'll bring it up manually and pump it a few times, it builds up pressure and the clutch feels firm again. When that happens, it engages at a very low point. WOT shifts seem to be fine, however I am not beating on it at all. Should I change the master first or is the slave fvcked too?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Save yourself the hassle and money in the future...replace both with new and an adjustable master cylinder. I would do the drill mod and also wrap the lines with heat tape.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Damned04
This has progressively gotten worse and worse. On a hot day, driving in traffic. If I hold the clutch down for 15 seconds it will not release. I'll bring it up manually and pump it a few times, it builds up pressure and the clutch feels firm again. When that happens, it engages at a very low point. WOT shifts seem to be fine, however I am not beating on it at all. Should I change the master first or is the slave fvcked too?
Do this 1st.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...lkthrough.html

Get clean fluid in there and see how she is.

What year is the car, clutch, and milage on components?

If it is fucked, then depending on milage or year, you may want to upgrade.

My recommondation requires less then an hour, a bottle of brake fluid and some basic hand tools.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

Screamin has it right...at this point it is easiest to try bleeding the system (flush and refill with a good high-temp hydraulic/brake fluid) and go from there. Best case scenario is that this solves your problem. Worst case is that you need to proceed with replacing the slave and or master. Have you noticed any fluid dripping from the bell?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Default I think I have the same problem!

Hey guys,
I have a 02 ws6 and I think mine may have just started doing the same thing as Damed04's car.

Yesterday I was leaving the store, pulling out into the road in 1st gear and I pushed in the clutch to shift into 2nd. When I released the clutch it did not disengage all the way. I pulled it back up manually and noticed it seemed more loose as I pushed in the clutch to shift into 3rd. Today it seemed fine but after a little bit of driving it did it again.

Does it sound like I'm having the same problem? and should I try the same recommendations? and or is there anything else you recommend?

My car is pretty much stock, with 79,000 miles on it.

Thanks

Last edited by tdevaul; 07-24-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: incorrect info
Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

same here will try flushing first. car only has very easy 40k on it. fluid was dark.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

As said...

bleed/change fluid first. Fixes it, great, if not, move to...

MC. Then bleed. Fixes it great. If not, move to....

pull tranny, inspect clutch (replace if necessary) and replace slave cylinder while you are there.

Also, at some point (sooner than later) wrap the slave/MC line in header wrap, and route as far away from exhaust as possible.

Quick Reply: Clutch sticks to floor in heat