Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch issue!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue!

I dont know if its the clutch/master cylinder/slave cylinder/throwout bearing or wat but my car if not started i can put into gear but if i let of my brake it'll start moving and not die, but i can't take it out of gear. With it started i can't put it in gear it grinds. My clutch still has a little pressure in it but it only sets 2 inches off the floor. Any help would be very much appreciated! I have a 1999 pontiac trans am ws6!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transamman08
I dont know if its the clutch/master cylinder/slave cylinder/throwout bearing or wat but my car if not started i can put into gear but if i let of my brake it'll start moving and not die, but i can't take it out of gear. With it started i can't put it in gear it grinds. My clutch still has a little pressure in it but it only sets 2 inches off the floor. Any help would be very much appreciated! I have a 1999 pontiac trans am ws6!

Well, you kind of ran your sentence's together (not trying to be mean) but how I understood your post, sounds like a MC/Slave issue.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So your pedal is only inches off the floor and with the clutch NOT engaged, the car will start to roll if you let off the brake? If I read this right then your clutch is constantly engaged. You need to purchase an adjustable master cylinder and/or shim your slave cylinder to move the catch point away from the floor. And if you don't have the upgraded 01+ slave cylinder, go ahead and do it while the tranny is out. I would replace both the slave and the master as the factory hydraulics aren't very good especially for high hp shifting. If you choose to do nothing, your clutch will not last very long. It will wear out the springs in your pressure plate and burn up the clutch.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue!