Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

bad tranny or bad clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem....my pp was bad. Now everything is like butter again. Replace the clutch, and if u haven't done damage to the tranny from the problem, u should be good to go.
I actually waited to long; and lost 3rd totally, went w/ the tick built and have had 0 problems since their master is the **** as well. Last go around i got the level 3.5 monster chromoly set up....LOVE it. Go ahead and replace the slave while ur there...it could be part of the problem a well.
Either way one thing is for sure....ur clutch is DONE!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Gen, I never thought of it as anything more than a debate with two oposing sides...its all good in my book...and I am sure that no one would consider the info I provided as anything more than an explanation of my point. If you have taken any of my posts negatively I sure am sorry...

However, I think that Cam was asking for more specifics. We clearly disagree on the matter so why don't you supply him with an answer. I've made and stood behind my argument...but it seems thus far you have simply indicated that:

"Point is, a worn clutch can affect shifting..."

Wouldn't it stand to argue that if the plate wouldn't release the disc that it was evidence of something more than simple wear? A broken pivot perhaps? A malfunction of the plate?

You are up...lets hear it!

Again, fair enough.... And yes, absolutey.
Maybe I am being too general...again, sorry to keep beating a dead horse, but I try and KISS it. In other words, when I say "worn clutch"....I am referring to ALL possibilites of an older/high mileage/defective/etc...setup....be it thin disc, glazed flywheel, loss of clamping force PP, broke finger, etc....because to me, it really does not matter WHAT is wrong with the clutch, because in the end, clutch has to be replaced. When a PP has lost clamping capabilities, it is "worn"...finger broken, it is "worn", etc.....
To me, no need in starting to talk quantum physics (you got yourself a nice vocabulary there by the way.. ) when a simple explanation/answer will suffice. You have your way...I have mine.

Your turn.....
Old 07-30-2009, 09:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
I had the same problem....my pp was bad. Now everything is like butter again. Replace the clutch, and if u haven't done damage to the tranny from the problem, u should be good to go.
I actually waited to long; and lost 3rd totally, went w/ the tick built and have had 0 problems since their master is the **** as well. Last go around i got the level 3.5 monster chromoly set up....LOVE it. Go ahead and replace the slave while ur there...it could be part of the problem a well.
Either way one thing is for sure....ur clutch is DONE!

Hey Chris, glad you are liking your setup! Keep us updated on yours (especially any track times) and let us know if there is anything else we can do for ya!!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One day it will make it...i think lol. Car has been sitting for the last 2 months or so...been working way to much and have lost ANY interest in that damned thing. LOL.
If nothing else we have a 1/4 mile track rental comming up here in October.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
If nothing else we have a 1/4 mile track rental comming up here in October.

There ya go...that should be the goal then....track rentals ROCK!!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the compliment (I suppose the vocab reference was intended as such) and the clarification of your perspective. I suppose that the primary difference in our arguments is that in your mind, basic wear and malfunction are equals; whereas in my mind they aren't. I guess it doesn't get any more simple than that.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Thanks for the compliment (I suppose the vocab reference was intended as such) and the clarification of your perspective. I suppose that the primary difference in our arguments is that in your mind, basic wear and malfunction are equals; whereas in my mind they aren't. I guess it doesn't get any more simple than that.

yes, it was meant as a compliment. I mean, I know you are a good guy, I have read enough of your posts to pretty much know that, and for the most part, try and back your info sharing up (unless of course I don't agree)

And yes, I try and keep it as simple as possible most of the time.

So, even though basic wear and malfunction, may not SEEM the same...they kind of are (from a certain point of view) cause in the end, it is a part that needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply: bad tranny or bad clutch