Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new noise when letting out clutch....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default new noise when letting out clutch....

ok i have the OZ700 Z grip Textralia clutch with a good 20k hard miles on it, it doesnt seem to be slipping at all i can put it in 6th at low RPM and step on the gass and no slippage BUT.... this past week ive now noticed a rub/screech/low pitch squeel ect noise right when i let the clutch out to start rolling in 1st gear. i dont know really how to describe the noise it sounds kinda like the noise a person would make immitating a car do a burnout (you know like when u were a kid playing with toy cars that "errrrr" sound) anyways it only makes the noise just right when the clutch seems to grip and the car starts rolling in 1st gear. what could this be?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same clutch and same issue. Some suggested to do a few launches to "clean" the surface of the clutch. Didn't help at all.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Teching In

I could be wrong, however that sounds like it would be the throwout bearing making that noise.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have the same clutch but I know exactly what your talking about. My spec3+ does the exact same thing. It doesn't slip at all but seems to make that "errrrr" sound just as the clutch starts to bite in 1st. Mine still does it.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

When using a Carbon-Semi-Metallic based disc material it isn't unusual to have some noise during engagement. Temperature, usage, flywheel flatness, and even the end users driving style can make the clutch more or less apt to have this noise. It doesn't evidence any functional problem with the parts and can be reduced by being a bit quicker to release the pedal. This sound is most commonly heard in instances where the clutch is slowly released, effectively causing the disc to drag as it engages.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
When using a Carbon-Semi-Metallic based disc material it isn't unusual to have some noise during engagement. Temperature, usage, flywheel flatness, and even the end users driving style can make the clutch more or less apt to have this noise. It doesn't evidence any functional problem with the parts and can be reduced by being a bit quicker to release the pedal. This sound is most commonly heard in instances where the clutch is slowly released, effectively causing the disc to drag as it engages.
i also have this same problem, i have a spec 2. i have had the clutch for about 5 years and only in the last 6 months have i noticed this noise while feathering the clutch in 1st gear. usually it makes the most obvious noise when i crank the car up after sitting a while when the engine/tranny is cold.

do you think that this sound showing up 4.5 years after installation indicates a problem, or would you still say probably not? i also have no slippage from the clutch.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 PM
FormerVendor

With Kevlar the sound will be a bit different. In The pitch is lower than the one associated with CSM materials. The fast that it has only recently occured could be relative to the return of cooler temps...though I am sure you have seen cold weather in the car over the past 4.5 years too. As long as the clutch holds fine and has no other symptom I think you will be fine. If you notice anything else don't hesitate to let me know as I am always willing to help with assessment and trouble-shooting!

Quick Reply: new noise when letting out clutch....