Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding Noise After Track - Can't Pin It Down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The Squeal results from the contact of a fully metallic disc scuffing the steel friction surface of the plate and flywheel during clutch engagement. This is normal and should be expected throughout the life of the clutch. Colder weather can make this more audible though...but agin this is expected. As a side note, the more you slip the clutch the more noise you will here because the sound occurs at the engagement point of the clutch, when the disc is beginning to bite. Get out of the pedal quicker and the noise will be reduced. I am glad that everything worked out for you at the track. Now, go get some pics and video so the rest of us can see the car in action!
Yulp, I got used to the clutch pretty quick, but she did squeal once when I was inching up to the water box. I just didn't know if the clutch had to be "hot" to get a full engagement or not.

I have a video, I'll have it up in a day or so

Thanks again everybody for the help!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sintered Iron is very grippy even when cold...thus a ritualized heat up process isn't really needed. I can't wait to see the vids. Let me know if you all need anything else. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise After Track - Can't Pin It Down?