Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I CANT stop misshifting even with a pro 5.0 shifter! I NEED a rocket scientest HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I CANT stop misshifting even with a pro 5.0 shifter! I NEED a rocket scientest HELP!!

My tranny came down 4 times and was then replaced. All because of missing 3rd gear. I went 1st-2nd-1st about 5 times before the tranny was replaced.

After the new tranny went in (under warranty thank god) I said ill try to be more careful so I went with a pro 5.0 shifter so it could provide more insurance against misshifts.

So far I misshifted once (about 10 minutes ago and I am P.I.S.S.E.D. ).

Now I KNOW theres definetly a driver error but I cant stop misshifting. I read everything there is to read about 'how to position your hand on the shift ****' ... 'how you should try to aim at something when shifting'...etc etc..

I shift really fast. Im not the fastest guy shifting out there but I am one of the sloppy-est and Ill admit it.

I wish I never bought a manual for this reason, and I wish I could convert to automatic but that will cost me too much money and that I cant afford.

Is there anything out there that could help? I tried researching for so many things but could not find anything that could be of help. I even tried to see if I could redesign the "skipshift" light so I can make it come on when racing to avoid the misshifts (in other words, make the skipshift light lock unwanted gears when racing) but I found out that it cant be done as I could only lock 2nd gear and not 1st so I could still go 1-2-1 .

As of now Im trying to find a much more advanced shifter that could help. Maybe call NASA and have them make one for me ..

Please help!!!! I WILL buy an aftermarket shifter for $500 or even more if it guarantees no misshifts. Ill do anything I can to prevent this problem financially as I have no more ideas.

I have the stock shifter, lous short stick, and the Pro 5.0 shifter now but nothing is really saving my *** here..

Help! Please! My cam is going in and my warranty will soon be removed if this tranny goes down I will be in big trouble!
Old 12-02-2003, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to learn how to shift.I have the lous short stick and pro 5.0 shifter and have never missed a gear since the install.I power shift at 6300 and never lift off the gas peddal and never miss a gear.Since the shifter install I have made 40 passses or so down the track.You need to start over with your shifting.Shift slow threw the gears,get a feel for the pattern all over again.I'ts not your car, it's you so ease your way back into shifting fast.A slow solid shift is better and faster than a miss shift.Worry about speed later when you think you have it down.Throw the shifter towards 3 .worst that can happen is you go to 5 .Easier on the tranny than going back to 1st.If you keep missing 3rd and going to 1st there is also a chance of over reving your engine way past 6500, becarefull
Old 12-02-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

like 02SOMWS6 said, forget about shifting fast, learn to shift the 6 speed first, then pick up speed little by little, its not hard. besides, you have one of the best shifter combos available anyways
Old 12-02-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

I agree as well...I started out trying to shift way too fast because I had always seen other people shift fast and I could do it on other cars. You have to take it slow and work your way faster gradually. I never hit the wrong gears, but I did miss a decent bit when I first got my car until I learned to start shifting slower until I learned the pattern perfectly. After a month or so you will realize that you have begun to pick up speed with your shifting, and I think the quickness you achieve in shifting is something that will naturally occur over time, and this is why it is incredibly important that you learn the pattern perfectly before you let yourself begin to increase the speed in which you shift.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seating position has alot to play with it.I just slam the shifter towards the pass side front tire.You just need to break your habit of back shifting.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with everyone that says just take it slow. When I first got my Z28 my problem was not missing third gear, but letting the clutch out just a split second too soon, which meant some serious grinding....YIKES. Happened every freaking time I tried to speed shift the 2-3. "No mister tranny guy, I just got the car and have no idea why there are scorch marks all over the clutch".....I know the frustration you are going through, there is nothing worse than thinking you can't drive your own car right. So what I started doing was just taking it slow, making sure it was all the way in gear before letting up on the clutch. It may have not been the quickest shifting, but hey, it was better than grinding. Over time I got faster and faster, and I can now hit third gear hard without even thinking twice. You'll get ther eventually
Old 12-04-2003, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

you might try changing your technique as well. i shift with my hand in all kinds of diffrent set positions on every change. 1-2 is about a straight up and down fist grip. 2-3 is a palm push diagonally over. and the 3-4 is straight back only touching the front of the ****. dont grab the know like the 1-2 shift, you'll start missing the 3-4. just take your time.

secondly, be sure that your clutch setup is up to par. if you've not done the drill mod, you' could have a hydraulic problem if you can NEVER hit 3rd under WOT.

lastly, the pro-5.0 is probably the best shifter there is. work with what you've got before you go spendin mor money on a problem that you could have fixed for free.

just the words of a 21 year old punk kid. take em for what their worth.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Wow Vents. i didnt know you were riding in my car....thats EXACTLY how i shift. down to the T. But your last comment about missing 3rd at WOT. ive had that happen a few times. My car is a 00 and ive heard that 2001 is when they upgraded the hydro slave. Could that 3rd gear miss be intermitant? and still be a hydro problem or is it a 100% of the time kind of problem?
S

thx
Old 12-05-2003, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

02SOMWS6-good advice man. i totally agree.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The technique that works for me is palm-only for 2-3 – I then rotate my hand 90 degrees counter-clockwise so my palm is vertical and my thumb runs down along the shifter for the 3-4 pull. This is awkward until you get used to it but it prevents hitting 2nd instead of 4th. I know others use this trick - I learned it here.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow thanks for the awesome responses!

Anyone have links on how to stop misshifts (2-1 and 3-2).. need to see how the grabbing is supposed to be pictures would be very helpful as they could save me thousands.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have another idea to help you practice.

When you are just puttering around town, and not going WOT, try shifting very quickly even though you are not at 5500-6000rpms. I do this all the time.

This way, you can practice the speed shifts without the likelihood of spinning the motor out. I especially practice the 2-3 shift.

I think you'll agree that this is good practice. Let us know!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:09 AM
7 Second Club

I think you have a hydraulic problem.I destroyed 3 t-56 tranny because of the infamous 3rd gear misshift.I have at least a half-million miles under my belt driving standards so in my case I doubt it was lack of practice.I have driven several 6sp F-bodies and most shift buttery smooth,others are like driving a dump truck.I powershift my stock Z06 to 12.00's and have yet to miss a gear change.You need to have a pro in your area fix things for you.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've only had problems with the 4-5 shift. When I got the car, I tried to run through all six gears. I shifted like a bullet 1-5...sadly, it didn't go into 5th as fast as the other gears did..."GRIND"!
Now I just make sure I take allow the extra time for it to go all the way into 5th before I drop the clutch.
As silly as it might sound: your just getting way too excited, calm down when you race. I listen to calm (some may say gay) music while I race.
its pretty funny, when I pull up to a car at a red light, switch from death metal to a Yanni cd, and offer to race! They stop laughing when they see my brake lights though.
If you keep your heart rate down, your motor movements will become much more precise. Its just like a cop running after someone, then having to aim a gun, if they cant calm themselves down quick enough they wont be able to hit the broad side of a barn!
Just my two cents. btw, I definately got one of the dump trucks
Old 12-10-2003, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

yanni CD LOL
i used some George Michael...not his gay stuff, but his really really gay stuff when I intimidate my opponents

but i know the feeling of the dreaded 1-2-1 crap
I just altered my seating and hand position and I was fine
Old 12-12-2003, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just another suggestion, try poly engine and/or tranny mounts?

When I first got the car, the 2-3 shift was kinda scary because of the way the shifter moves when you're on the gas, and suddenly let off to shift. I have a poly tranny mount now and it's much better. Gonna add poly motor mounts when I get the chance.

I have the Pro 5.0 too, it's a crappy shifter in general but good for drag racing. I've only been driving stick for a few months (the camaro was my first stick car!) and I've never missed 3rd. Ever. I've only downshifted too many gears (crappy pro 5.0) from 6-2 instead of 6-4 for example.

Dope
Old 12-12-2003, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you need a Mcleod master. That will definitely help with the 2-3 shift. It did with me. Also, do the drill mod. I think there is an article on installuniversity's website on how to do it. I think there are a few vendors that have the Mcleod master cylinder. Now, as far as the 1-2-1 goes, that just takes learning. On the 2-3, I push way right like Im tryin to put it in 5th, and it slides right into 3rd with no problems.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say hand placement......

When shifting 2nd to 3rd, put your hand on the left side of the **** and that way the natural motion of your arm should push it to the right enough to put it into 3rd and not first.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

I would just start slow and work your way up in speed. Its probably more of a mental thing now. You gotta have confidence man.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i have missed 4th before went 1-2-3-2 and that sucked. its all about position of your arm i think, when im going to 4th i let my arm fly out kinda, when i go into third i have most of the pressure on the thumb part of myhand with an open hand. i can hit all the gears really fast and smoothly. just have to take the time to practice, move up in speed. this was my first manual car i have ever owned or driven and gettin into 3rd fast is hard and sometimes 4th can be hard too. just have to take your time, try 2nd and 4th fast but easy your way up to 3rd and after no time u will beable to slam all the gears like its nothing. my friend has a pro 5.0 and i cant believe how fast he gets 3rd in that thing and has never missed. i tried it out myself and it is a lot easier than mine but 2nd seems to come harder for some reason. practice makes perfect...

Quick Reply: I CANT stop misshifting even with a pro 5.0 shifter! I NEED a rocket scientest HELP!!