Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3+ starting to make grind noise on less than 10k mi.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec 3+ starting to make grind noise on less than 10k mi.

Put clutch in about a year ago and it has been great. Car has been sitting for past 4 weeks waiting on other parts. When I start in 1st now from a dead stop, it makes a grinding noise for about a second, and I can feel it in the pedal. Will do it from dead stop even in rev and 2nd. But with the slightest roll - no noise. Car has not been to the drag strip since new clutch, but it does get driven on road courses once a month. Had all new bearings, slaves, remotes added when installed. MC is still stock with ATE fluid. Any clues? TIA.

It is also a dd with mods in signature.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

If I am reading this right you are hearing the sound when leaving from a stopped position otherwise there is no feeling or noise at all. If this is the case you are likely feeling the disc scuff the surfaces of the plate and flywheel as it is beginning to engage. This is similar in nature to chatter but not as obvious because there isn't any shudder that accompanies the sound. Does temperature affect the sound at all? Meaning is it louder or quieter as the car warms up? Let me know a bit more and I will be happy to provide more info. Thanks,
Old 10-05-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

There doesn't seem to be any shudder like during break-in, just some vibration and a lot of noise. It didn't do it this morning backing out of the garage (cold) but 2 mi later at the stop sign it was making noise. I thought it might be a tranny thing, but it does it in 1st, 2nd and rev. Clues?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:38 PM
FormerVendor

If possible give me a call at the number below. I just want to make sure we are on the same page and this can be easier when talking versus posting. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 3+ disk definitely makes a whirring sound while slipping it, which I can hear when backing into the garage. Seems normal to me.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:07 PM
FormerVendor

Thus far I would agree! Though, I haven't heard from the OP yet to discuss the exact conditions. We shall see!
Old 10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Jeremy,
I know the LT1 3+ is a NON marcel disk. Do you make this disk in marcel?

The disk has plenty of grip but as you know, it is still very much on/off and has little modulation between engaged and NON engaged. I still, quite often take off and get the thing bucking more than I would like due to fast release.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wrd1972
My 3+ disk definitely makes a whirring sound while slipping it, which I can hear when backing into the garage. Seems normal to me.
Has it always done that? Mine never has until it set for about a month. Whirring sound pretty much describes it.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

The Stage 3+ does not use and is not available with a marcel spring. In high-friction applications the marcel can actually react negatively leading to a greater potential for material damage and even release issues.

Please understand that the info I provide is relative to my own experience as both a SPEC customer and employee. I used our products before I came to work here and of course contine to use them and have never personally had a Stage 3+ that chattered excessively or that I would have deemed difficult to modulate or drive in any way. It's worth noting that engagement and release are impacted by other parts of the assembly including the flatness of the flywheel and proper function of the hydraulics as well as break-in. This means that any individual with engagement that differs significantly from the expected norm associated with the part may have other factors that are leading to this varied engagement.

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you all have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 10-06-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

I am thinking mine just needs some driving seeing it has been sitting inside a garage for over a month. Clutch has been great for over a year, no whirring, no chattering after break in, OK for dd. I think I just need to drive it some. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Good deal just let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,
Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

I would expect that the way my 3+ clutch behaves, is considered normal. It is no surprise that a NON marcel spring disk is going to be much more on/off than a marcel spring disk. It is my understanding that by and large the marcel spring is what gives the most stock like clutch operation.

My question was not really intended to be a point of concern as much as it was to help me determine what disk might better suit my needs in the future.

Is the 2+ a marcel spring disk and how does it compare to the 3+ disk in terms of grip. FWIW I am at 400 RWHP.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

None of our LS applicable discs utilize a marcel spring for the reasons I mentioned above. Of course use of a stage 2 or 2+ will aid engagement relative to the nature of Kevlar. Once seated it is quite smooth during engagement. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 10-20-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Clutch give up the ghost last nite. I tried a relative high rpm shift, ~ 4000 rpms, and it wouldn't release enough to get it easily out of second and barely got into third. Had to finish driving home without using clutch. I am kind of glad as I could not live with the noise. Just hard to believe clutch is gone after less than 10k mi. I don't drag race, and the only burnouts I have ever done were last week trying to fix it. It seemed fine at the track, but it sit for a month. This might be the first time a clutch went bad sitting in a garage. I hope it is just a slave or mc. I was contemplating the Tick one anyway.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were your MC, your problem would be getting the pedal to disengage at higher RPM due to hydraulic pressure vs. a beefy clutch. I don't think it is a MC or slave issue.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WADDISME
Clutch give up the ghost last nite. I tried a relative high rpm shift, ~ 4000 rpms, and it wouldn't release enough to get it easily out of second and barely got into third. Had to finish driving home without using clutch. I am kind of glad as I could not live with the noise. Just hard to believe clutch is gone after less than 10k mi. I don't drag race, and the only burnouts I have ever done were last week trying to fix it. It seemed fine at the track, but it sit for a month. This might be the first time a clutch went bad sitting in a garage. I hope it is just a slave or mc. I was contemplating the Tick one anyway.
I don't drag race, and the only burnouts I have ever done were last week trying to fix it. It seemed fine at the track,...

Take it apart and find the smoking gun. Sounds hydros or shim to me.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 AM
FormerVendor

Once you get the parts out send me some pics and I will be happy to help you with determining the cause. I am sure that there will be a logical explanation and if you need anything else I am of course happy to assist you. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Once you get the parts out send me some pics and I will be happy to help you with determining the cause. I am sure that there will be a logical explanation and if you need anything else I am of course happy to assist you. Thanks!
Will do. I keep thinking it is something out of the ordinary, not just a worn out clutch. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

my spec4 started making a high pitched noise after about 3K miles on the street.

was barely a chirp at first...only in 1st from a stop...when cold

progressed to a 2sec squeal in reverse and 1st when cold

now it is a long squeal in 1st, 2nd (shorter squeal) and reverse...when cold and when warmed up, but its much shorter when warm.

other than being embarassing...its not a big deal.

although embarassment of a squealy clutch when you have a nice sounding exhaust and a sexy looking ride....CAN be pretty bad

Quick Reply: Spec 3+ starting to make grind noise on less than 10k mi.