Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I really want a 4 speed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your best bet is to buy a good shifter and a short stick and stick with your 6-speed. The old school style tranny's do not shift as smooth as what you have. It doesn't take that much brain power to know what gear your in. It's not like your 1/4 mile racing and are shifting like mad. Your drifting, ounce you get your car set up your only going to use 2 gears most of the time. Go ask someone who drifts with a finished car how much he shifts. My bet is you will be using 2nd and 3rd most of the time or 3rd and 4th depending on your gears. Or you can sell me your t56 and go buy what ever you want. PM me if you want to sell it
Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your right most of my gear changes are 2-3 or 3-4

i have drifted my set up lol and i was hitting 5th instead of 3rd half of the time major pita i use to have a nissan turbo 4 in the car with a sloshy feeling 5 speed i guess im still use to that, i have a B&m on my current t56, but i really cant stand the tight pattern of the 6speed i dont like thinking i just like banging gears, going wide open, and making tire smoke.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Teching In

IM BUMPNG THIS UP

I have pretty much decided im going to get a built up M-22

Does anyone have the info i need to get this thing in the car and working properly?
The info im looking for is will i need a new clutch,flywheel, bellhousing, and what about my slave setup, as well as length of the gearbox? will i need to get my drive shaft modified?
For the price and power i think the muncie will get the job done i just need to know how to mount it to my ls1 to make it work properly now, right now my car is just set up with the standard m6 t56 and internal hydraulic slave.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

You want a Tex Racing T101 tranny.

Google it...

4 speed dog box that in most cases come out of retired NASCAR cars.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by touge battle
IM BUMPNG THIS UP

I have pretty much decided im going to get a built up M-22

Does anyone have the info i need to get this thing in the car and working properly?
The info im looking for is will i need a new clutch,flywheel, bellhousing, and what about my slave setup, as well as length of the gearbox? will i need to get my drive shaft modified?
For the price and power i think the muncie will get the job done i just need to know how to mount it to my ls1 to make it work properly now, right now my car is just set up with the standard m6 t56 and internal hydraulic slave.
Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata..._overview.html

The key is the chart at the bottom showing the critical dimensions. The blowproof bell from Quicktime would address Dimension "A"

http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html

RM-6036SFI Certified @ 6.1

View a 3D Rendering of this part.

RM-6036 - Chevy LS Bellhousing/Richmond Style Transmission

* Height = 6.290
* Trans. Bore Ø = 4.685
* Engine = Chevy LS-1, LS-2, LS-3, LS-6, LS-7, LS-9
* Trans. = Richmond, Saginaw, Muncie, Bert, Brinn, Chevy TKO 500-600
* Clutch Ø = 11"
* Flywheel = 168 tooth or 153 tooth
* Weight = 22#
* Stock Shifter fork & throwout bearing
* Passed ALL SFI testing
* Pivot ball, full engine plate and grade 8 bolts included

A custom tranny mount would take care of Dimension "B", new driveshaft (what is the spline on the output of an M22, 27 or 32, might need a different yoke than what you currenlty have for the T56) addressed Dimension "C".

The clutch package? LSx based clutch package with spline count to match the M22 input (26 spline iirc)??? Lots of homework here....

Get a good shifter with rod-ended linkage (no factory spaghetti linkage) to eliminate slop and binding.

Long Shifter....go here

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LO...S/?image=large

Then run an aftermarket hydraulic bearing (Howe, Tilton etc.), shim it to spec, and you should be good to go.

That's my best estimate of what lies ahead. Do some homework.

Chris
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Another transmission option would be to go with something like a Ford top-loader, it will be stronger than the Muncie. For a shifter, the Renegate might be something to consider; I have no experience with it, but it looks interesting.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if youre gona go with a 4 speed trans might as well go with v drive clutch as well, instead of trying to source traditional clutch parts to adapt.
its all available, just gota do some research.
the scattershield, the clutch pack, the flexplate (yes, flexplate not flywheel) v drive use both.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All the Austrlaian guys I know running ls1's are running T56's. This even includes Robbie Bolger's old 1200 HP Crewman drift Ute. My buddy also sponsors a couple of ls1 powered cars, and they all have 6 speeds.

The driver mod and a good shifter with fresh busings is probably a better option than spending all that money on a new transmission. Heck, for that matter you could install a manual stop on the shifter to not allow you to get into 5th and 6th.

But, its your money. Do as you will...
Old 11-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure if you sorted this out yet.

Just bought a Tex Racing T101 4 speed dogbox for my LS2 RX-7

landed at $2700 with the shifter. You can find great deals on them just look around. check out Muscle Motorsports.

Quicktime has the best bellhousing IMO

I kinda needed to get a trans as I bought my engine as a longblock... most T56 are pricey for their condition.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice>LG vette manual shift change without touch cluthes pedal.
Forget $25K worth

Quick Reply: I really want a 4 speed!