Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny Rebuild Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Rebuild Advice

I'm thinking of rebuilding my tranny but i'm not sure what i'm doing.. For those of you who know or have been through this:

1. Should I take the time to learn to do it myself? (buy a messed up transmission and slowly rebuild it with good stuff)

OR

2. Should i take it somewhere to get it serviced and repaired?

Any Input would be appreciated, Thanks Guys!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's always satisfying when you can DIY.. I'd recommend getting another unit to rebuild. Read through the service manual, and the dozen or so rebuild threads on this and other web sites. Be prepared to take it slow as you may have to stop for days trying to make/buy/adapt tools to work for you. Patience is your key, don't skip any of the steps, and try to make it the best you can.. If it all goes right, you can just swap out your trans with the one you rebuilt, and keep driving while rebuilding the original and later deciding to keep it or sell it to offset the project cost..
Old 10-18-2009, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

While some may say, yeah its easy, just as many say it is difficult.

I agree with 85mike (who knows his s*** by the way) and I like teh DIY mentality.

That being said, only YOU know your limits....both tools AND knowledge. You have a hard time changing plugs or your oil...you are NEVER gonna rebuild a tranny.
Same token, if you are pretty good @ teh car, pull off an intake manifold, install headers, replace some rocker arms, etc....you could probaly tackle teh tranny.

BUT, as said above, be prepared to take your time. Find a service manual. Read up on teh tools needed, so you are not spending a week tracking them down while your tranny is apart. Why? Think of it like this: You have all tools, and are ready to go...tear it down, and rebuild it...everything is fresh onyour mind. Same token...you STOP in teh middle, have to go find a toold, takes you a week, and you come back, and your memory took a dump on you, and you are now lost!

So, do your homework, service manual, tools, digital pics (take LOTS of pics as pulling apart)
Nice work bench, lots of towels, brake cleaner, and room to work/spread parts out....and keep internet handy a well
Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Launching!

I took breaks while rebuilding mine, but as i took the parts off i set them down in order and the orientation they came off the shaft, (up/down). So i had a couple (trains) of gears,synchros,snaprings. lol. If you do it this way, it is very easy.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian'sCharlotte(TA)
I'm thinking of rebuilding my tranny but i'm not sure what i'm doing.. For those of you who know or have been through this:

1. Should I take the time to learn to do it myself? (buy a messed up transmission and slowly rebuild it with good stuff)

OR

2. Should i take it somewhere to get it serviced and repaired?

Any Input would be appreciated, Thanks Guys!
PM me your email and I'll send over the T56 manual in PDF form. Take a look at the manual and the stickey thread up top and see if this is something you want to tackle. Just remember you have to have the correct tools to do this and if you are only doing this once and have to buy ALL the tools, it might not be worth it for you.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tremec service manuals are available for free download from the Tremec site:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...er/product.asp
Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

It boils down to this.....

(1) Do it yourself, save about $250 labor plus any shipping cost, take a chance on it working properly but be willing to pull it in and out as many times as it takes if it does not.

(2) Find a local shop you trust to do the work, spend the cash and forget about it.

(3) Find a shop that specializes in this exact type unit, pay for the labor and shipping but know its done right the first time.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

What are the tools you would need to do this?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:05 PM
FormerVendor

15MM socket and ratchet/extension
Torx T40 (hell, or is it 45 guys???)
Roll pin punch
hammer
screwdriver
a GOOD set of snap ring pliers
Hydraulic press or gear pullers, a Loooooooooooonnnnnng set
Dial indicator
ATF
grease
TQ wrench
Old 10-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Banned

Its a T40.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Launching!

you can get away with the harbor freight gear pullers if you daisy chain them and tape, (worked well for me, i thought it was hokey too...) also can do without the press if you have some PVC (also not the best, but it works...)

Quick Reply: Tranny Rebuild Advice