Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Inspection plate is off - what do I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inspection plate is off - what do I look for?

Spec 3+ clutch stopped working after less than 10k mi. Was really hard to shift from 2nd to 3rd and eventually wouldn't go into any gear. It wasn't slipping, just wouldn't go into or out of gear. It had been making a whirring sound when starting from dead stop, but still worked fine. So I have the inspection plate off, but not sure what to look for - suggestions?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WADDISME
Spec 3+ clutch stopped working after less than 10k mi. Was really hard to shift from 2nd to 3rd and eventually wouldn't go into any gear. It wasn't slipping, just wouldn't go into or out of gear. It had been making a whirring sound when starting from dead stop, but still worked fine. So I have the inspection plate off, but not sure what to look for - suggestions?
inspection plate off of what?

You might have a hydro problem, and not necessarily a clutch issue.

How old MC? Slave? Last time bled? Fluid swap? Check fluid level? See where I am going???
Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Mech stuff looked fine last nite. Slave goes in when pushed, 1/16th between plates, plate turns when shifting gears. Fluid is ATE Blue, less than year old. MC is stock. I think I will call Tick today as they are the mc experts to see if that is the direction I need to go.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Mech stuff looked fine last nite. Slave goes in when pushed, 1/16th between plates, plate turns when shifting gears. Fluid is ATE Blue, less than year old. MC is stock. I think I will call Tick today as they are the mc experts to see if that is the direction I need to go.

Thanks.

Can I ask you what do you mean "slave goes in when pushed, 1/16th between plates, plate turns when shifting gears"????

Are you saying the slave only travels 1/16" when you push in clutch??? If so, that is NOT enough.

What plate turns when shifting gears??

If your MC has any miles/age on it, it could be a source of your problem. How old? Miles??
Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry for the confusion. When the pedal is depressed, the slave moves from the torque tube forward - a lot. There is like 1/16" between flywheel and pressure plate, but I didn't try to move it to see if it would. When I shift the gears, there is another plate I see rotate back and forth as I go thru the gears. I am not that familiar with clutch stuff so I may not have the terminology right. But it would not go into all gears last night. I just got off the phone w/Jeremy at Spec and he says it sounds like the clutch and MC appear to be functioning properly. There is no inconsistent feel/pick up with the pedal, so that would kind of rule of the MC and slave. All that is left is shifter and tranny. Am I on the right track?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

After having spoken with Wad it does seem as though the clutch is functioning as it should. After pulling the plate he looked to see what happened as the pedal was depressed. With the pedal pushed the disc spins on the shaft (as it should) and there is no evidence of a release issue with the clutch. As I explained to Wad, the clutch should fully actuate within 3/8" of diaphragm compression and it is.

It seems that he is having some noise during engagement which isn't that unusual when using a Carbon-Semi-Metallic disc material. The fact that he is having issue selecting gears on the other hand isn't normal. The pedal seems to be consistent and the engagement point is not on the floor (as I understand it) so that ideally rules out the hydraulics.

I offered to check the parts out further if needed but based on the info Wad provided I am confident that the clutch is functioning as it should. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry for the confusion. When the pedal is depressed, the slave moves from the torque tube forward - a lot. There is like 1/16" between flywheel and pressure plate, but I didn't try to move it to see if it would. When I shift the gears, there is another plate I see rotate back and forth as I go thru the gears. I am not that familiar with clutch stuff so I may not have the terminology right. But it would not go into all gears last night. I just got off the phone w/Jeremy at Spec and he says it sounds like the clutch and MC appear to be functioning properly. There is no inconsistent feel/pick up with the pedal, so that would kind of rule of the MC and slave. All that is left is shifter and tranny. Am I on the right track?
Originally Posted by SPEC-01
After having spoken with Wad it does seem as though the clutch is functioning as it should. After pulling the plate he looked to see what happened as the pedal was depressed. With the pedal pushed the disc spins on the shaft (as it should) and there is no evidence of a release issue with the clutch. As I explained to Wad, the clutch should fully actuate within 3/8" of diaphragm compression and it is.

It seems that he is having some noise during engagement which isn't that unusual when using a Carbon-Semi-Metallic disc material. The fact that he is having issue selecting gears on the other hand isn't normal. The pedal seems to be consistent and the engagement point is not on the floor (as I understand it) so that ideally rules out the hydraulics.

I offered to check the parts out further if needed but based on the info Wad provided I am confident that the clutch is functioning as it should. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

OK, now we have more info to work with, let me ask another question...WHEN is it hard to get into gear...under normal driving, or more aggressive driving, or both???

ALSO: How does tranny shift with car OFF?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Car was shifting fine, but I thought I was feeling a vibration in the drivetrain at higher rpms, so I run it up to 4500 rpms and tried to go from 2nd to 3rd. It would barely come out of second and barely go into 3rd. When I turned into my development, it wouldn't go into 1st. It felt like something was blocking it.

It appears to be shifting fine now without car running. I pulled console and checked shifter out last nite. As best as I can tell, it all looks fine. I am going to do the shifter adj tweak tonite and put it all back together and see if I can get it to a real shop. I just paid $400 to have it towed back from the track from where the FAST blew up, so I am not interested in anymore towing. I ordered a trailer, so I will have that to tow it on next week if needed.

Thanks for your help.