Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Gears Grinding When Clutch is Down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears Grinding When Clutch is Down?

Last week I was driving along and when I pushed down the clutch it dropped to the floor. I had it towed to a shop and they said some bearing seized up and melted the slave cylinder. They replaced the slave and the bearing for $538 and said that would fix the problem. When I got in the car today I pushed down the clutch and it felt very soft and was releasing a lot lower than it was before all this. I put it in reverse, backed up and when I put it in first it made a grinding noise like you would hear if you dont push down the clutch far enough. I figured I didnt push down the clutch far enough but that was not the case because when I went to 2nd gear it did it again. I turned right around and brought it back to the shop. We went for a ride with him driving it and he said that something was def. wrong. The owner said that it wasnt doing that when he drove it yesterday and basically told me that there is no way he could have caused any of this. My response was that I didnt have this problem when the car was brought in. He told me he would fix it and charge me for parts only but I think its complete bullshit. I feel like hes ******* me, what do you guys think and what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Last edited by 1HOTZ; 10-22-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1HOTZ
Last week I was driving along and when I pushed down the clutch it dropped to the floor. I had it towed to a shop and they said some bearing seized up and melted the slave cylinder. They replaced the slave and the bearing for $538 and said that would fix the problem. When I got in the car today I pushed down the clutch and it felt very soft and was releasing a lot lower than it was before all this. I put it in reverse, backed up and when I put it in first it made a grinding noise like you would hear if you dont push down the clutch far enough. I figured I didnt push down the clutch far enough but that was not the case because when I went to 2nd gear it did it again. I turned right around and brought it back to the shop. We went for a ride with him driving it and he said that something was def. wrong. The owner said that it wasnt doing that when he drove it yesterday and basically told me that there is no way he could have caused any of this. My response was that I didnt have this problem when the car was brought in. He told me he would fix it and charge me for parts only but I think its complete bullshit. I feel like hes ******* me, what do you guys think?

he's ****** you TWO (2) ways. #1...to charge you that much money for a slave cylinder is downright freakn ridiculous.
#2)Safe to assume Mr. yahoo does not know how to bleed Hydraulics, and you probaly ahve air in teh system. Now, it IS possible, that IF you got the slave that hot, that the fluid could have boiled, and could have broke down teh MC as well.

So, have teh system bled PROPERLY, and if problem is still there, more than likely going to need a MC...

$538 for a slave, good grief...where do these shops come from, and more importantly, how the hell do they stay in business???
Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Where exactly is the master cylinder and why do you say that it was not bled correctly?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone else have any advice? They seem to think its something with a syncronizer but I didnt have any problems before the clutch **** the bed, is it possible that I screwed that up to?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:06 AM
FormerVendor

If this issue is affecting every shift and thus ever gear then it isn't likely a synchro issue. In fact, as Gen mentioned this is most probably the result of burnt fluid and or a bad master. The master cylinder is mounted on the firewall. It connects to the clutch pedal via a rod that when compressed pushes fluid from the Master to the Slave (which is mounted inside the bell-housing and requires that the transmission be removed to access it). Check the fluid in the reservoir. If the fluid id dark and cloudy then it needs to be flushed and refilled. If it were me I think I would probably take my car elsewhere for bleeding an further assessment. Let me know where you are located and I will do my best to recommend a shop near you that could help! Thanks,
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

I just got back from the transmission shop that my car is at...they have the whole transmission apart and they are saying that I need 6 new syncro's and a fork. I really think they are ******* with me, especially since there was absolutely no sign of this problem before I brought it there. At this point I think I am pretty much stuck and the only way to fix the problem is buy the new parts and have them put them in. Where is the best place to get these parts?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh wow, you're getting fucked. It sounds to me from your first post like they just didn't bleed the clutch (soft pedal with low engagement and incomplete clutch disengagement causing it to grind shifting into gear). If it was doing this in every gear all of the sudden and it wasn't before you dropped it off for this slave swap, then it's most likely a hydraulic issue (needs to be bled, bad slave, bad master, etc).

I would have them put it all back together how it is and then tell them to go **** themselves (AFTER they give you your car back in one piece). Pay for the slave swap to be "reasonable" about it since they did technically do the work, even if they didn't do it completely and fucked it up, but tell them you're not paying for an issue that they caused and that's most likely not even related to what they're trying to fix.

EDIT - And $538, while expensive, isn't necessarily outrageous for a slave swap if that includes the price of the slave. Most shops around here charge $400 for a clutch swap NOT including any parts from what I've heard; a slave is a little less work but the slave itself is probably $120 or more at a shop like that. Labor + part + taxes and if they're charging a similar amount as the performance shops charge for a clutch swap, it's right in that range.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 10-26-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Teching In

thats right dude! these people just want to grab money out of you! be aware and try going out to some othere
Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1HOTZ
I just got back from the transmission shop that my car is at...they have the whole transmission apart and they are saying that I need 6 new syncro's and a fork. I really think they are ******* with me, especially since there was absolutely no sign of this problem before I brought it there. At this point I think I am pretty much stuck and the only way to fix the problem is buy the new parts and have them put them in. Where is the best place to get these parts?
WOW, did you authorize them to disassemble the transmission? If not tell them to put it back together correctly & your not payin a dime. You went in for a hydrolic problem not a internal transmission problem. Your getting fucked bad.

First off a new slave is under $200 last time I bought one anyway. And it just sounded like it needed bled after you got the new slave installed. You could have done that easily enough in your driveway either by conventional method or with the mityvac. I used a mityvac on mine so I could bleed it by myself & see the bubbles.

If they start to just randomly start working on various things without your permission get the police involved cause they are tryin to milk you.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I went to the shop today and the story just keeps on getting better... I caught the guy trying to make a profit off of the parts. He wanted to charge me $309.34 for one of the parts and I found it brand new online for $97. He also wanted to charge me $100.92 for the transmission fluid! Guy is a ****** theif, name of the shop is American Transmission in Kenmore, NY just so everyone knows not to go anywhere near there. He originally said he was going to do it and charge only for parts, but now hes changing his story. I told him to put it in a box and ill pick it up tomorrow....what a mess.

Quick Reply: Gears Grinding When Clutch is Down?