Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cluctch or transmission problem HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cluctch or transmission problem HELP!

so i tried to back out of the driveway yesterday morning and could not get the car into reverse no matter what i tried.

so since i was late, i let it roll back and just used the forward gears like normal.

did some reading through this forum last night and did some expiermenting this morning.

with the car OFF, the shifter easily engages all six forward gears AND reverse.
with the car idling and not moving, it is hard to engage the six forward gears and will NOT engage reverse.
if i shift into reverse with the car off and then start the engine, it pops out of gear with a slight grinding.
if i shift into reverse with the car off and then start the engine, while holding the shifter in reverese, it remains engaged and i can back up normally.
with the car running, when i try to shift into reverse, i CAN get past the 5/6 gate over to reverse, the back up lights do engage, i just cannot push the shifter up into reverse.

also, i have noticed in the last few months that it has become harder and harder to shift smoothly around 2500 - 3000 rpm. the car wants to buck slightly no matter how i work in the gas or slip the clutch. when shifting ar or near redline, there are no problems.

on the history side, the car is a 2001 z28 m6, with 74k miles. i am the second owner and the gm service records show that the clutch/trans have never been serviced.
the clutch, master/slave cylinder, transmission are all bone stock, including the stock shifter.
i change my trans fluid every spring (around 8-10k miles) and use redline fluid.

so at this point, my thoughts are that the transmission itself is fine, the reverse lockout soleniod is fine and the problem is the clutch is getting to the end of its life.

can you guys either back me up, or tell me i'm wrong?
what other tests can i do to verify what the problem is?

thanks!
tony
Old 10-24-2009, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
so i tried to back out of the driveway yesterday morning and could not get the car into reverse no matter what i tried.

so since i was late, i let it roll back and just used the forward gears like normal.

did some reading through this forum last night and did some expiermenting this morning.

with the car OFF, the shifter easily engages all six forward gears AND reverse.
with the car idling and not moving, it is hard to engage the six forward gears and will NOT engage reverse.
if i shift into reverse with the car off and then start the engine, it pops out of gear with a slight grinding.
if i shift into reverse with the car off and then start the engine, while holding the shifter in reverese, it remains engaged and i can back up normally.
with the car running, when i try to shift into reverse, i CAN get past the 5/6 gate over to reverse, the back up lights do engage, i just cannot push the shifter up into reverse.

also, i have noticed in the last few months that it has become harder and harder to shift smoothly around 2500 - 3000 rpm. the car wants to buck slightly no matter how i work in the gas or slip the clutch. when shifting ar or near redline, there are no problems.

on the history side, the car is a 2001 z28 m6, with 74k miles. i am the second owner and the gm service records show that the clutch/trans have never been serviced.
the clutch, master/slave cylinder, transmission are all bone stock, including the stock shifter.
i change my trans fluid every spring (around 8-10k miles) and use redline fluid.

so at this point, my thoughts are that the transmission itself is fine, the reverse lockout soleniod is fine and the problem is the clutch is getting to the end of its life.

can you guys either back me up, or tell me i'm wrong?
what other tests can i do to verify what the problem is?

thanks!
tony
1 gear, NORMALLY trans related

Most or all gears, clutch or hydro related. Remember your clutch works with ALL of your gears.

However, you say "bucking" I am assuming you mean "shuddering" or "chatter" from a take off, when releasing clutch pedal? If so, that is signs (typically) of a warped flywheel surface. So, while you COULD be having tranny issues, it appears that you are having some clutch issues as well.

First thing is first:

When was last time you bled hydraulics? Original equipment? NOT saying this is your problem, HOWEVER, that many miles, original setup, could be worth the few minutes to bleed your hydro's to eliminate ALL possibilities before you start throwing money around...

What does have me confused is you said you had a problem wih reverse and reverse only, THEN you go onto to say that you are haivng problems with other gears as well
Old 10-24-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

the hydraulics have never been bled, all original.

i had not had any problems getting the shifter to engage the forward gears until this morning. but then again i had not had any problems getting the shifter into reverse until yesterday morning.

the confusing thing for me is that this all seems to be happening so quickly. thursday, car drives fine, friday no reverse, saturday no reverse and the forward gears are difficult to engage.

tony
Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue and it was a broken hub spring. It was impossible for me to get in reverse, and all the gears were hard, so bad that I had to muscle the shifter with both hands. This was on an LT1, so just throwing that out there.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I had the same issue and it was a broken hub spring. It was impossible for me to get in reverse, and all the gears were hard, so bad that I had to muscle the shifter with both hands. This was on an LT1, so just throwing that out there.
what is a hub spring? and how do you fix it?

thanks
tony
Old 10-26-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

did some more testing.
with the car off, i can easily shift into any gear, including reverse.
if i start the car while in reverse, i can back up.
it is only hard to shift the forward gears while the car is running and not moving, but still next to impossible to shift into reverse, even with the car rolling backwards.

could this be master cylinder related???
seems odd that it shifts so easily with the car off if the trans is messed up.

thanks
tony
Old 10-26-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

duplicate post.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

what is a hub spring? and how do you fix it?

thanks
tony
The center of the clutch disc is the hub. And those springs in it are the hub springs. There is no fix, you have to replace the disc. This is my broken spring:

it is only hard to shift the forward gears while the car is running and not moving, but still next to impossible to shift into reverse, even with the car rolling backwards.
Does that mean you can shift easily with the car moving? Does the problem come and go? Is the pedal softer than normal?

Quick Reply: cluctch or transmission problem HELP!