Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What does the reverse light plug on a T56 go into?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What does the reverse light plug on a T56 go into?

I have a 98 Trans am that was previously converted to an auto using a TCI TCU. I'm converting the car back to a T56 but cannot find the reverse light plug that goes to the T56 on the passenger side. What does this plug go to? The PCM?

I need to find the source of the two wires that plug into the T56 so I can get my reverse lights working.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a brown wire and a light green wire on your automatic PRNDL switch. They go to the reverse switch on the passenger side of a T56.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

im kinda in the same boat. im doing the a4 to m6 swap, but im swapping the harness and ecm also. so on the m6 harness it has the plug and the wiring for the reverse lights within the ecm harness. my question is do i still need to cut into the PRND plug to have the reverse lights work?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Launching!

eseibel67, the reverse lights didn't work when the auto was in the car so I can't just splice the wiring since its not there. Plus my harness is an m6 harness but I just can't find the plug so I'm thinking it was cut.

Splaulsen, so are you saying that the plug for the reverse lights actually comes from the PCM? Do you know what pins on the pcm correspond to the plug? I tried looking at a PCM pinout and didn't see anything that had to do with the reverse lights. If that's the case then I should be able to run new wires from the pcm to get my reverse lights hooked up.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
eseibel67, the reverse lights didn't work when the auto was in the car so I can't just splice the wiring since its not there. Plus my harness is an m6 harness but I just can't find the plug so I'm thinking it was cut.

Splaulsen, so are you saying that the plug for the reverse lights actually comes from the PCM? Do you know what pins on the pcm correspond to the plug? I tried looking at a PCM pinout and didn't see anything that had to do with the reverse lights. If that's the case then I should be able to run new wires from the pcm to get my reverse lights hooked up.
well thats the thing. i dont know where they go so i was asking. to be honest, i think they may be in the group of wires that come into the car on the passenger side from the engine harness. but i dont know. can any1 shed some light on this?

im gonna trace those wires and see where they go and ill let you know soon.

Last edited by spaulsen; 10-25-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spaulsen
well thats the thing. i dont know where they go so i was asking. to be honest, i think they may be in the group of wires that come into the car on the passenger side from the engine harness. but i dont know. can any1 shed some light on this?

im gonna trace those wires and see where they go and ill let you know soon.
Please let me know! I'm stuck and don't want to put the T56 back in until I find the wires since the transmission is out of the way now
Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have not done this swap, I am only going by the diagrams. I cannot find PCM pins that correspond to reverse switch.

My guess is the switch on the T56 is an old-school switch that closes the circuit to turn on the back-up lamps directly.

Lots of guys have done this swap that can either confirm this or set it straight.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok. i traced the wires that lead from the reverse light connector and they go thru the engine harness and go into the inside of the car on the right side under the ecm. ive included a pick of the plug that the wires go to. there are 3 plugs ( 2 white and one blue ). the blue plug has these wires in it. [IMG][/IMG]
on that plug it it the second and third wires...im gonna check my car to see if these wires are in the same location for the other side of the plug...
Old 10-26-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The reverse lights are not connected to the PCM at all. They go from the fuse block to the reverse lights switch to the lights themselves. On auto cars, they never leave the passenger compartment except to go to the lights. On manual cars, they pass through the firewall to the switch on the tranny, then go right back through the firewall and to the lights.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Thanks so much that is exactly what I needed. I started at the blue plug and traced the wires. The previous mechanic had just hid the wires.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spartan7
The reverse lights are not connected to the PCM at all. They go from the fuse block to the reverse lights switch to the lights themselves. On auto cars, they never leave the passenger compartment except to go to the lights. On manual cars, they pass through the firewall to the switch on the tranny, then go right back through the firewall and to the lights.
so in my case since im swaping the ecm and harness i dont need to re-wire the reverse lights?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Teching In

your plug mite be tied up next the the speedo plug and the shifter lock crap plugs

Last edited by paulkhare; 10-26-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spaulsen
so in my case since im swaping the ecm and harness i dont need to re-wire the reverse lights?
Since you have the harness wouldn't you just be able to plug it in? The other connection to that plug should be on the passenger side under the glovebox.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jump those 2 wires in the blue connector in the above pic.

Should turn the lights on.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Jump those 2 wires in the blue connector in the above pic.

Should turn the lights on.
lol sorry treat me like im stupid....jump the wires for what reason? just to see if they come on? and if they do then what? i guess i just need to know if i can just plug the connector in and they will be fine...
Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, I didn't explain it properly.

I meant jump the wires to TEST the lights. Then you can rig those 2 wires into the switch that's in the T56.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Sorry, I didn't explain it properly.

I meant jump the wires to TEST the lights. Then you can rig those 2 wires into the switch that's in the T56.
those 2 wires in the pic come from the trans. they go thru the engine harness and thru the firewall on the pass. side....my question was if i just plug those connectors in 2 each other ( under the dash ) will i still have to cut and splice the PRND plug for the reverse lights or will plugging these in work just fine?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Make sure the Green goes to the Lights, and the other Wire has 12v Power with the Key on.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead, but I'm trying to plug in my reverse light switch on an M6 using an M6 engine harness.

I can't find a plug on the M6 engine harness that goes to the reverse lights.

Is the reverse light plug not part of the engine harness, but integrated into a body/chassis harness instead?

Quick Reply: What does the reverse light plug on a T56 go into?