Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 downshift vibration and 1ST thru 4th

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 downshift vibration and 1ST thru 4th

Had to park my 98z and start driving my 78z with a t56. Out of the blue it started vibrating when downshifting and vibrates from 1st thru 4th when accell. goes away when I push the clutch in. Feels like the sycros in the trans, when you are rolling and push into 1st you can feel the sycros speeding something up to engage before you put it all the way into gear. Whatever its speeding up in there vibrates. I wonder if its a pilot bearing? It stops in 5th and 6th. Anyone know what that deal is? Thanks
Old 11-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Yup pilot bearing was wallered out. Going to try a roller this time. The input shaft bearing feels fine.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Teching In

UPDATES! Going with a ZOOM kevlar pilot bearing from summit (55 bucks). Went back and got my free replacement clutch from autozone - upgraded to a VDP clutch set set instead of duralast so I'll see what that is. The pressure plates you get are the same as LT4's and I've had good luck with them. I had a grinding noise when the clutch pedal is all the way in and it turned out to be the TO bearing fork hitting the pressure plate because the master cyl pushrod is adjusted too long- easy fix. A rattiling noise from the trans while in neutral and goes away when the clutch is depressed (same noise in this lt1 78 z28 and my 98 ls1 z28) is just the gear backlash in the trans. I may try heavier fluid to take that noise away but from what I've read its normal for any m6 thats been through some gears.