Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rear seal and bushing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009 | 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Default Rear seal and bushing question

I have a leak coming from my tail shaft on my t56. Of course I am gonna replace the rear seal. Went and got a new one. The new one doesnt incorporate the little dust cap on it like the stocker, its just flat, no biggie, I see others on here running them. However, it did come with a small cylinder about 2" in diameter and about 1.5" tall. I did a search and it seems that this is the bushing? I pulled my old seal off and saw a piece similar to the new one just behind it. Am I supposed to get this old one out of the trans? If so how? I thought the seal was just gonna be a remove and tap in job. I didnt want to just start pulling stuff outta my trans without knowing.
Old 10-30-2009 | 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

If it ain't broke don't fix it. You should be able to just replace the seal. Unless you think the bushing needs to be replaced.

Just Curious. Where did you get the seal at? Usually only comes with the seal?
Old 10-30-2009 | 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Well idk if its broke. But it was definitely leaking its *** off, so much I had to park it a while back. I am not sure if the bushing needs replacing or not, I wouldnt know how to tell if it needed it anyway . I just know it came with this extra piece identical to the piece that is behind the seal. I purchased the part at o'riellys auto parts. I still havent installed it. But the new seal fits perfect where the old one was, I just wasnt sure about the extra piece that came with.
Old 10-31-2009 | 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

bump, gonna be installing the trans monday and need advise on this bushing thing
Old 11-01-2009 | 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by taws6m6
bump, gonna be installing the trans monday and need advise on this bushing thing
Insert yoke into trans, try to wobble it side to side. If it wobbles very much , bushing needs replaced. Caution, this bushing can only be correctly replaced with a proper bushing driver. Very easy to damage. As long as I have the trans out, I would take it to a trans shop for proper installation, If I determined it needed replaced. Hope this helps, Dean.

Quick Reply: Rear seal and bushing question