Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Going about rebuilding my trans with 105k miles on it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009 | 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Default Going about rebuilding my trans with 105k miles on it...

I think it was starting to grind when I pulled it out and swapped it, but now Im looking into rebuilding it and putting it back into my car.

Long story short, I did a clutch in my car, and I had a t56 i got off of ebay that was supposedly rebuilt with all new internals. it was nice and painted black, and my old firebird needed a 6speed so I got it. I put about 200 miles on it, and i crashed the damn thing (fell asleep blahblah)

anyway, I saved that transmission, and when I put my stage 2 clutch in my car, i thought what the hell, ill put this new trans in while im at it.

OK. So I want to know, what do you guys recommend to replace while I have this thing torn apart? synchros and what else? Is there like a decent rebuild kit that gives me all I need?

THANKS!
Old 10-30-2009 | 11:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I think it was starting to grind when I pulled it out and swapped it, but now Im looking into rebuilding it and putting it back into my car.

Long story short, I did a clutch in my car, and I had a t56 i got off of ebay that was supposedly rebuilt with all new internals. it was nice and painted black, and my old firebird needed a 6speed so I got it. I put about 200 miles on it, and i crashed the damn thing (fell asleep blahblah)

anyway, I saved that transmission, and when I put my stage 2 clutch in my car, i thought what the hell, ill put this new trans in while im at it.

OK. So I want to know, what do you guys recommend to replace while I have this thing torn apart? synchros and what else? Is there like a decent rebuild kit that gives me all I need?

THANKS!

Well, I would upgrade (we have all the parts you need) shift keys, fork pads, 3/4 fork, blocking rings, new seals and new 1/2 and 3/4 syncrho's.

Check out my sig below, or PM me, or email/call.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2009 | 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

PM me a quote on that stuff
Old 10-31-2009 | 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThoR294

Did the seller list what was rebuilt/replaced in the unit when you bought it? If it only has 200mi on it, it's unlikely to need much. A clutch or hyd issue could have caused the grinding to start, doesn't really warrant a trans rebuilt unless I'm missing something...
Old 10-31-2009 | 12:26 PM
Banned

Which trans are you rebuilding? One with the 105K miles or the new one?
Old 11-01-2009 | 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

the one with 105k miles.

the trans in the car right now had 200 miles when i put it in.
Old 11-02-2009 | 07:15 AM
Banned

With that kind of mileage, I would replace ALL the bearings along with the rebuild kit (Tick Stage II comes to mind). You'll know what you would need once you open up the trans.

Quick Reply: Going about rebuilding my trans with 105k miles on it...