Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch not disengaging after missed shift Updated w/pic!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch not disengaging after missed shift Updated w/pic!

I have 97SS Lt1 with t56. Was at the track the other day and accidently shifted into 1st instead of third..first time I have done this in the 10 years i have owned it. The car shook and the tires hopped immediately hit the clutch and put it into third. I knew the run was over so i jsut drove normal through the traps i stepped on the clutch to coast to the turn around and the rpms stayed at 3k. The clutch pedal has normal travel but definitely feels different. Car starts and idles fine. I can put it into all the gears when the car is off. When the car is idling the there is a vibration you can feel when you put your foot on the clutch pedal. No fluid leaks anywhere that i could see. The master resivoir is still full. I have not had a chance to put it in the air to take a look. Just wanted opinions and what to look for.

TIA

Derek

Last edited by 97 CAIVIAROSS; 11-12-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Sounds very similar to something that happened in my old truck. It happened to me just under normal driving. I was coasting down an off-ramp on the freeway with the clutch pushed in, and all of a sudden it re-engaged with the pedal still pushed in. So I let off the pedal and pushed it back down. The clutch disengaged for a couple of seconds and then re-engaged with the pedal still in. I just knocked it out of 5th gear without pushing the clutch in again and coasted into a gas station, and from that point on the pedal did absolutely nothing when I pushed it in. There was no leaking fluid or anything to suggest a problem and it shifted just fine with the truck off. Turned out to be a ruptured seal or something inside the master cylinder... it just stopped pushing any fluid.

Sounds like your issue is with the hydrolics.

Good luck
Old 11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply.

I will hopefully get under the car tomorrow to check things over. I will try to bleed the master and see if it pushes any fluid before I attempt to do anything else.

If any one else has any ideas on what else I should check let me know.

Derek
Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Well gotta a chance to get the car up in the air and took out the slave cylinder only to have a small piece of the clutch friction material fall out after it and i could see what looked like the fricition material fibers everywhere. So my buddy and I pulled the trans and sure enough half of the friction material on the pressure plate side was missing!!! It was an SLP setup with the drilled pressure plate. I will try to post up a pic later.

Now I just have to decide which clutch to put back in.

Last edited by 97 CAIVIAROSS; 11-12-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch not disengaging after missed shift Updated w/pic!