Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

If you re-install an old clutch,does it need another break in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default If you re-install an old clutch,does it need another break in?

I had a spec st3+ in my car for a year. it was complete with flywheel and all. I removed it when I got my 402ci put in for a new spec st3+ and flywheel. I figured new motor,I'll start with a new clutch too. So,my car lost a lot of power and the spec was burnt due to some oil getting on the clutch. I have now re-installed my old spec 3(lot of life left on it) and the flywheel. Now the clutch seems to have a burning smell when I go up hill in my driveway and makes noise,also the pedal is way at the top where all my other clutches were closer to the floor. Anyone know why it's way at the top now and do I need to re-break in this clutch when it has more then 1,000mi on it? my car seem to pull hard on the bottom but,fall flat and not pull up top? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say you get a new pair of nikes...they are real stiff and uncomfortable when you first start wearing them, after a few walks in the park they are comfortable and fit perfect. You take them off and go to sleep. You wake up the next morning and put on your shoes...Are they going to be stiff and brand new again?

Sorry for the sarcasm...did you bleed your hydraulics after the install of your old clutch? You do have to do that again.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pedal difference may be the shim with it being a Spec. Did you re-install the correct shim?
Old 11-07-2009, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put it back together the way it was before,shim and all. After driving it,I like the clutch higher and after some more miles it feels much better. Yes,I did bleed it again.Thanks.
VODAS00SS- I have no idea as to why you would even bother posting mess rather then just an answer. To each his own I guess. But,thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: If you re-install an old clutch,does it need another break in?