Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help me choose my clutch upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me choose my clutch upgrade.

2001 SS w/ 66K miles. Spirited driving last night and the clutch pedal started sticking to the floor. Barely got it back home to the garage and now she won't engage and I can't get the car into gear.

Checked the fluid, (full and clear) and no leaking on the ground underneath the car. So I don't know what happened. The car is always garaged and I never really rag on it so I'm a bit miffed that it went out.

Since the tranny is going to have to be dropped to change out the slave cylinder anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to change out the clutch and revamp the system. Unfortunetely I know nothing about clutches and what's available, so I'd like your help.

Lets figure about a 1200-1500 dollar budget, and this includes EVERYTHING. Hydraulics, clutch, flywheel, and whatever else you guys might think I will need.

I want my transmission to basically be bulletproof, have very positive shifting, and no hang ups between 2nd and 3rd like what I usually have with the stock setup.

Let me know what I need guys. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Thats a pretty good budget for a clutch. You can probably have your pick of whatever you want. What mods do you have done? Do you want the trans or the clutch to be bullet proof? Seems like everyone on this site migrates to monster these days. I have no experience with them. I run a mcleod street twiin, best one I have ever had, really stout pedal though. I have right at 20k miles on it, still kicking, many many track passes and 6k clutch dumps, all on what was a daily driver once
Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Junkie

what power levels are you planning?

without knowing mroe about the car we can't really suggest much...since your budget pretty much covers any combo on the market.

but off the top of my head...

spec 3+ with billet steel flywheel

will handle most any power you throw at it, and the lighter flywheel will spin up faster when on the street.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teke184
what power levels are you planning?

without knowing mroe about the car we can't really suggest much...since your budget pretty much covers any combo on the market.

but off the top of my head...

spec 3+ with billet steel flywheel

will handle most any power you throw at it, and the lighter flywheel will spin up faster when on the street.
Full bolt on levels, maybe 380RWHP, 450 or so at the crank.

Maybe a power adder later on down the road or a cam.

I basically want full street ability, OEM feel and pressure, and I want it to be better then what I have now.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the proven Textralia OZ700 Z-grip...
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Monster Clutch. Stage 3
Old 11-09-2009, 09:13 AM
FormerVendor

Is the car simply daily driven or is it also tracked as well? What tire are you running? What power-adder are you going to add? When this is done what is your planned torque output? Let me know a bit more and I will be happy to make a recommendation. Thanks,
Old 11-09-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

my spec 4 has identical to stock pedal feel to it.

has 01+ upgraded hydrolics

just for an fyi
Old 11-09-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MONSTER
Derrick (Morris) here in houston (alvin) is dealer, install and tech.support
for monster clutches
Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Monster

Last edited by bearcatt; 11-09-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you drive it everyday and dont want chatter or a leg work out go ls7 clutch! I have over 40,000 miles on mine with 413whp and i dog the **** out of it.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by teke184
my spec 4 has identical to stock pedal feel to it.

I have never felt any spec clutch that feels like a stock clutch
Old 11-09-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Textralia OZ700 X-grip. If you take it to the track at all or beat on it hard from a dig, which it sounds like you don't, go with the Z-grip. But the X-grip sounds like your perfect option if you can spend the kind of money stated in your original post.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Launching!

With out reading the rest of everyones posts you need to check the slave cylinder. It sounds like the throw out bearing got caught on the shaft of the slave. You only need to pull the trans apart and take the slave off and un hook it the bearing from the shaft. Deppending on how bad the throw out bearing looks you can still use it. I would rec getting a new one because most of the time it is caused because of the bearing that is on the outside gets old or sticky/ doesnt want to sping freely so it hangs up and tries to turn itself on the shaft and gets cought on the little tab of the slave shaft.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
if you drive it everyday and dont want chatter or a leg work out go ls7 clutch! I have over 40,000 miles on mine with 413whp and i dog the **** out of it.
I'm not surprised.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Well first things first. I would take the cap off and get someone to push the peddle in. If the fluid comes up when the peddle is pushed in I wouldn't waste my time on a clutch just yet and just replace the master. If the fluid doesn't come up and isn't leaking from the master then you know its most likely the slave. I would go w/ a monster stage 3 with that budget. If you want to go a little cheaper and still have a good clutch get the LS7 even though I am having issues w/ mine (god knows why). I am the only person I have ever heard of having issues w/ the LS7 so I would still think its a good clutch.(probably the installer)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ls7 is the way to go. make sure to shim the clutch
Old 11-10-2009, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

I would vote for the TEXT or Monster clutch as well. And the Tick master with a remote bleed line-If you are to replace it. I have been thru an LS-6 clutch(before the LS7 was available) and stepped up to a Spec lvl3 back in 2005-and did the drill mod then-and I didnt have any luck with it. got my 1st text to replace it and wailed on it harder till I busted the 10 bolt hot lapping it. Rebuilt engine-used same clutch and rebuilt trans from 6speeds inc. But factory hydraulics killed it finally. New clutch with tick master-back in action-till my heads broke on the intake runner at the track.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have been driving a spec 2 for 5 years and it has worked flawlessly and never slipped once. the only complaint i have is that in the last year or so when you feather it there can be a slight squealing noise, which i'm told is sometimes normal wear and tear and doesn't really indicate a more serious issue.

people get different results with the same clutch. my stage 2 feels firmer than stock but not hard to drive. i don't think it changes the resale value of the car. i have driven a couple of stage 3's before and they feel funny, funny enough that if you sold your car to someone ignorant, they might be hesitant to buy, thinking something was wrong with the clutch or transmission that you weren't disclosing.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Your right-I didnt meen anything bad about Specs products-I just didnt have any luck with them. And depend on his mods he needs a clutch matched to his power. Just like over camming, You can over clutch. So a LS7 or comparable clutch with an 02 slave-master with drill mod-or tick master, a proper pre inspection of parts before assembly-and all proper assembly and break in followed-your good to go. BTW. I still think Spec clutches are good. Just bad installs or break in procedures not followed.

Quick Reply: Help me choose my clutch upgrade.