Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Symptoms of a failing slave?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Symptoms of a failing slave?

What are the symptoms of a failing slave cylinder? I have been having high rpm shifting issues. So i bled the clutch, went through about half a bottle of dot4 and went from black fluid to perfect color. Clutch still sits lower when the car is cold started and doesnt get into gear untill you pull it up or pump it up while the car warms up.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Launching!

I have found a lot of the problems being off ballance flywheel and pressure plate. Thats also after everything else has been checked as far as the slave or master isnt letting fluid past itself/ fading. I have found that it usually based off of some vibration that is RPM deppendent being eather out of ballance clutch or a bad pilot bearing or a bad input shaft bearing. The last one is if the input shaft is hitting the back of the crank because of an after market crank that doesnt have enough clearance. I think the clearance has to be atleast 27mm deap.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

hmm that mite be it. I have a vibration between 65 - 80ish. Thought it mite be unbalanced wheels or so.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xRelapse13
hmm that mite be it. I have a vibration between 65 - 80ish. Thought it mite be unbalanced wheels or so.
The vibration wont be because of MPH it will be because or RPM. You should be able to feel it around 600-2500 rpm and then it might go away because of the highter rpm. That doesnt mean its gone though. Try seeing if you can feel it when it is parked and rev the motor. The other thing is rev the motor at about 5500 to 6k while feeling the clutch pressure. If it fades look into the ballance of the clutch or the throw out bearing, pilot bearing, or the input shaft/4th gear bearing.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

hmm don't think its a balancing issue, cause the vibration is directly related to mph. Also you can't feel it at a rest. While clutch is in the position where its hard to get into gear if you do get into gear (ie. turning car off, putting in gear, then turning back on.) and you rev it while holding the clutch in it will start to move.

I have a tick master cyl. maybe i need to adjust it out more?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

I pmed you my number.

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a failing slave?