Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 for dummies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-56 for dummies?

Ok, I have solicited information from several members on what parts to use when I decide to do my rebuild. Thanks for the input, especially the guys at Morris, they have gone above and beyond to educate me. However, my EdjuMacShun needs a little more. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I have never done anything with a tranny. Not even a clutch change. Just been lucky, I guess. I plan to order part to do my rebuild after the holidays.

I would like to know if there is a T-56 frebuild or dummies post. I tried to find it in the stickies, saw lots of mods and stuff, but no rebuild with an explination of the recommended parts for replacment and what they do.

For example, it was recommended to so to a 30 spline....what the hell is a spline and what does it do? I saw pix of splines by searching. But, why do we replace it? Why a 30 spline and not a 35? Pro and cons of different metals used for splines? Don't get me wrong, I can wikipedia a spline and basically know what it does, but it doesn't go into the upgrades and stuff like that.

So....that being said....someone please enlighten me or point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spline count is literally the number of splines on the input shaft. (For example)
Check out this picture,
http://www.seriestrek.com/axle/shafts2.jpg

Now that being said, a 30 spline is stronger than a 10 spline. In the picture: say the one on the right is 30 spline and the one on the left is 10.

Notice the 10 spline has much larger splines versus the 30. Now, you're probably thinking, "That one is bigger, so why is the smaller one stronger?"

The 30 spline has more contact material than the 10 spline, which in turn means a tighter fit. Less clearance, meaning less "walk" space. Which all leads into more strength.

Now, for questions about building a T-56, No clue. But I'm now tuned in because I also want to rebuild mine. lol
Old 11-11-2009, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. It is quite helpful. Now, I understand about the spline stuff a little better. I also am aware and understand of the upgrade of the 2/4 fork from the factory aluminum to the steel for durability purposes. There were some other upgrades recommended, but I would still like to learn how to install them when the time comes, to include the clutch installment....how to adjust it as well. I plan to use a Monster clutch that will handle around 700 hp if that makes a difference. I forget with model Morris recommended, but I think it was a level 2.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished my first clutch install (so I cant help with the rebuild part).

added a couple of hints to those of us on the first time (don't let it fool ya, the weight of the transmission is at the rear).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...h-install.html

Although this was a pretty straight forward swap...still took some time to do right (plus I'm pretty old ).
Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the details, going to your post now.