Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Remove reverse lockout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove reverse lockout?

Has anyone removed their reverse lockout solenoid from their T56? Im putting a LS1 T56 combo into my 67 out of an 04 GTO and with the trans where I have it, i'll have to make the tunnel larger than I like if I leave the reverse lockout. I havent driven a 6 speed T 56, is it easy to hit reverse by mistake. Sure you cant actually get it into reverse at speed but could probably chew some teeth off. Anyone have opinions on this. I really dont want to leave it in.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reverse is quite a ways starboard of 5th gear, so it would be deliberate to miss it.

Also, 5th isn't usually a gear you are ramming, so you can take your time to make sure you have it in right.

Even so - yeeech, it would be too risky for me.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure, you can delete it. Just seal the hole it leaves with a brass plug, or fab up a block off plate. Then just be wary when you're going into 5th. You have to go over pretty far to hit reverse though, so you should be fine.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Banned

Just be damn careful around 5th gear. I've actually seen someone jam one in reverse going down the track instead of going into 3rd gear. It was a brand new SS Camaro back in 2002.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too much of a risk imo especially in your 67'' i bet its nice i would make a plug for it tho if it is a must do tho
Old 11-20-2009, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
Just be damn careful around 5th gear. I've actually seen someone jam one in reverse going down the track instead of going into 3rd gear. It was a brand new SS Camaro back in 2002.
How the hell did they do that..used to driving a Truck..lol

I over-rode it once slamming from 4th to 5th..yea that was one of my parts that I re-built. **** happens..
Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed mine and put a freeze plug in it's place. Would take a pretty wicked arm spasm to hit reverse by accident instead of 5th IMO.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by the_merv
How the hell did they do that..used to driving a Truck..lol

I over-rode it once slamming from 4th to 5th..yea that was one of my parts that I re-built. **** happens..
Not sure exactly how they managed to do it. The car was brand new with paper plates on it and the kid was about 18-19 years old. I was watching the pass and seen the reverse lights come on just before all hell broke loose. He damn near hit the wall. I wonder if it was covered under warranty????
Old 11-20-2009, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

I'm suprised he got it to engage..
Old 11-20-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had 2 transmissions come in with these installed in place of the Rev lockout.. Must be a popular way of sealing the hole.

I wouldn't recommend removing the lockout BTW...

Remove reverse lockout?-plug.jpg
Old 11-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Hmmm, kind of half yes/no just like I feel about it. The way this thing needs to sit its high up in the car and it really changes the angle of the tunnel, damn thing just sticks out too far. Im not going to make a hump in the side of the tunnel just to clear this thing, and if I angle it around it theres not much space between the tunnel and the seat. Gonna have to think about this one, leaning toward leaving it out.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

What a coincidence. I have been working on my 70 Chevelle LS2 6 speed swap and am in the process of building my floor hump. That solenoid is really in the way and I decided tonight that I am going to take it out. I really can't see getting into reverse very easy. I have a hard time believing that it is synchronized well enough to even get it into gear. I have never jammed a Muncie 4 speed into reverse? I actually found this thread looking for the proper size freeze plug for the hole, I will just take the solenoid to the auto parts store with me.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

You won't get it to engage into the Gear..you will just grind the **** out of it. I guess if you forced it long enough with the Clutch in there may be a possibility of gettiing the Slider to engage..I would hate to see the aftermath of that one.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
What a coincidence. I have been working on my 70 Chevelle LS2 6 speed swap and am in the process of building my floor hump. That solenoid is really in the way and I decided tonight that I am going to take it out. I really can't see getting into reverse very easy. I have a hard time believing that it is synchronized well enough to even get it into gear. I have never jammed a Muncie 4 speed into reverse? I actually found this thread looking for the proper size freeze plug for the hole, I will just take the solenoid to the auto parts store with me.

Glad im not the only one! I wondered why others havent brought this up but from pics ive seen many people let the trans drag really low in the back so maybe its not such a big deal. That solenoid makes it impossible to make a symetrical tunnel unless you want to add four inches to the width (2" each side) in the back. Ive got a trick stainless steel plug I can use to block the hole but the expansion plug sounds like it will work great.

Quick Reply: Remove reverse lockout?