Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifter "stiffening"

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter "stiffening"

I just had my transmission rebuilt around 7500 miles ago and no problems up until now. I have very little time racing (autox) on it so far, and have not grinded or missed a gear yet but the past two days the shifter has been very stiff and sometimes almost impossible to shift into second under normal driving. The only thing that has changed is the weather... is it that simple?

The sliders still feel fine, the shifter wants to go to the correct gears, its just twice as hard to move it now..
Old 11-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by XxWICKEDSSxX
I just had my transmission rebuilt around 7500 miles ago and no problems up until now. I have very little time racing (autox) on it so far, and have not grinded or missed a gear yet but the past two days the shifter has been very stiff and sometimes almost impossible to shift into second under normal driving. The only thing that has changed is the weather... is it that simple?

The sliders still feel fine, the shifter wants to go to the correct gears, its just twice as hard to move it now..
Did you replace the master and slave at the time the tranny was replaced. How does the tranny shift if the motor isn't running?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it do it mostly when its cold? Do you know what fluid was used in it?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 AM
Staging Lane

Did you change the clutch or inspect it?

A busted pressure plate spring or a bent pin on the pressure plate (according to the centerforce clutch diagnostic PDF...) might also cause this problem...

My Blazer's NV3500 has trouble with the 2 -> 3 shift at high RPM...
Apparently aggressive downshifting can cause the issue... Which I've been known to do, lol.