Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What's wrong? just snapped my 4th clutch disc...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan7
That would probably explain the marks on the PP. Did you loctite that bolt? It's a common issue for it to work loose and wreak havoc, seen broken TOB's and bent forks that way.

But it still doesn't explain why you keep breaking clutches. Did you use a pilot bushing or bearing this time?

And did you have any issues with those past clutches before they broke?
Ok here's how it went:
I had a stock clutch kit installed with my new engine. Out of no where I hear a loud snap on the freeway, I can push the clutch pedal in normally, but I can't engage any gears. Pulled the trans and found the spring hub center detached from the rest of the clutch disc, it ripped the arms connecting the two pieces. I had a used stock clutch disc in the garage, so I threw it in and buttoned it all back up. A few months later I had a similar incident where I couldn't get into gear properly all of a sudden. Dropped the trans and found parts of the spring hub had busted off. So I figured it was because the stock clutch disc's weren't up to the task of my new power level, so I got a brand new Zoom Kevlar clutch disc. I installed it along with a new pilot bushing. After about two months I noticed that shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd I could feel a slight grinding feeling. Also sounded like I had a little bit of clutch chatter. Then on the way to work, snap, can't get into gear. Dropped the trans and found the center spline hole of the clutch disc to be broken away from the rest of the clutch disc. I also saw that my pilot bearing was worn out, alot. I got a new Zoom clutch kit on warranty, installed it with a new pilot bearing. Grinding and chatter disappeared. But less than a month later, it started grinding and wouldn't go into gear properly, as soon as I put in the clutch pedal it would die. That's when I dropped the trans and found the grinding marks along the out side of the pp and discovered that the shifter fork was loose. I locktited the bolt and torqued it down. Installed a new stock clutch kit, pilot bearing looked fine.
So far so good, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, from what you're describing, sounds like the input shaft may be seriously worn, destroying your pilot bearing (not helping, should have used a bushing), and in the process destroying your clutch.

So I'd say you probably have a worn input shaft, which means the input shaft bearing could be toast. Did you notice if the input shaft moved around a lot? Did you check fitment of the new pilot bearing on the shaft and see if it was a good fit?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

How long has the new one been in?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Ok, from what you're describing, sounds like the input shaft may be seriously worn, destroying your pilot bearing (not helping, should have used a bushing), and in the process destroying your clutch.

So I'd say you probably have a worn input shaft, which means the input shaft bearing could be toast. Did you notice if the input shaft moved around a lot? Did you check fitment of the new pilot bearing on the shaft and see if it was a good fit?
I haven't noticed any excessive play, but I don't know exactly what's excessive...

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
How long has the new one been in?
New clutch kit has been in for 200 miles.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Stupid question, but did you put the clutch in backwards?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Stupid question, but did you put the clutch in backwards?
LOL, no.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happens, more often than you would think.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To much power!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like you may have a bellhousing to engine alignment issue. Repeatedly cracking clutch discs is not an indication of defective clutches.

Are the bellhousing dowels still entact?? Are all the bolts threading all the way in?? Are the bolts all the correct size?? Even the slightest misalignment can cause serious issues like you are describing.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually the dowels missing, misaligned, or not putting all the bolts back on the tranny will break the disc like that.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Sounds to me like you may have a bellhousing to engine alignment issue. Repeatedly cracking clutch discs is not an indication of defective clutches.

Are the bellhousing dowels still entact?? Are all the bolts threading all the way in?? Are the bolts all the correct size?? Even the slightest misalignment can cause serious issues like you are describing.
All original bolts, they all go in all the way. Dowels still intact.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver
It happens, more often than you would think.
Pretty hard to do it on an LT1.

Quick Reply: What's wrong? just snapped my 4th clutch disc...