Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Faceplating

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
I didn't think you could pull it out of gear without using the clutch with faceplated gears. At least that's what I've heard. Mine is being faceplated as we speak so I'm interested in this thread as well. Good info so far.
Who is doing your faceplating?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CanuckSS
Who is doing your faceplating?
I'm going through Morris Motorsports(Liberty is actually who's doing the faceplating) As far as I know them and G-Force are the only ones that offer the service. Derek with Morris has been one of the best people to deal with. Super easy, and will answer any question you have whether you buy from him or not. He documents everything with pictures so you know exactly whats going on.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ***** as well as the plates are tapered or slanted on the engagement edge so they tend to stay engaged when power is applied or you're all the way off the throttle. By backing off the throttle to a neutral feel in the trans, you'll easily pull it out of gear. Like Gat said, its experience that makes these transmissions drivable. Think of it like this, if you take your hands, spread your fingers out on the left hand as far as they'll spread, then do the same with the right. Now bend the right fingers 90deg toward the left hand. Mesh your fingers so the rights mesh with the lefts at the tips. Notice the slack between the intermeshed fingers as they are held spread apart? This is similar to faceplating. When there isnt much force between your fingers in a drive type motion, they easily move apart.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Great thread and write ups... Keep it going
Old 12-11-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

If you can drive a manual semi you can drive a faceplated transmission

Quick Reply: Faceplating