Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Shifter Vibration, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGW Shifter Vibration, HELP!!

I just installed my MGW shifter yesterday. I also got a white hurst ball to top it off. I love this shifter, very precise and tight. I am getting some vibration noise coming up through the stick though. I took everything out again, I had some carpet stuck under the #6 boot and I re-applied the silicone that seals the shifter to the tranny. I buttoned everything back up and I am still getting the noise. Don't understand why this is happening. I know for sure now that it is not noise from a bad seal of the boot or the silicone. Any opinions and input on this would be awesome. I also noticed the my factory shifter had rubber surrounding the stick, mgw is metal on metal at that point on the shifter. Could wrap the stick in something and then tighten it down to dampen some of the vibration? Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not personally had that problem with mine - they do use something further down in the shifter assembly to eliminate most (if not all) of the vibration that is present in the shifter without giving up the precise feel.

It is definitely more quiet than my B&M Ripper ever was, and I even have a brass shifter cup instead of the plastic one which should make things even worse. I don't notice the noise from mine at all, but I have a pretty loud exhaust, so that might be covering it up. I could definitely hear my Ripper over the exhaust though, so it is at least more quiet than that.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Vibration, HELP!!