Old 12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help quick...CLUTCH

Quick rundown...These parts probably don't even have 3k miles on them
Monster Stage 3 clutch with flywheel
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder

The pedal started to become somewhat soft while driving and the pedal would only return halfway to which I had to bring my foot under the pedal to bring it back up on my way to work. Tried to go back home after work and the clutch wouldn't even disengage...Impossible to get into gear. Checked fluid and there was none in the fill reservoir, so I dumped a little DOT4 (barely any at all) and it went to the fill line. No help. Car is still parked at work and I need it out NOW.

Any ideas what could cause this? Transmission was JUST replaced probably not even 100 miles before this problem surfaced. I'm wondering if it's possible some air got into the line from disconnecting the slave quick-disconnect...But why the disappearing fluid? Is there some quick fix to get it back home and figure this out? It sounds like a bad master, but that was JUST replaced.

HELP!
Thanks!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No signs of a leak? Sounds like you may have to bleed it again.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

No signs of leaking...Just thinking outloud as hydraulics baffle me...

Is it possible some air was in the system, causing the fluid to get hotter than it should be allowed...as a result boiling the DOT3 that was in there and causing some to evaporate? Hence the low fluid.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Also...Any idea how much fluid the clutch system holds? I think my Mityvac has a 4.5oz reservoir...
Old 12-19-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

And just so I make sure that I have the MityVac way of bleeding the system correct...
Have friend in car ready to pump the pedal.
Hook up MityVac to ~12 Hg
Friend in car does nothing until I see air bubbles circulating through MityVac system at which point friend begins to slowly pump pedal until no more bubbles are seen
Remove MityVac and drive car.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It def. sounds like air in the system.
Try bleeding it manually with 1 under the car as well, almost worked best for me....speedbleeder's are the ****. It is possible that you got a bad master as well. Was it a GM, tick? If it's a auto part store master.....get your $ back....they are trash.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
It def. sounds like air in the system.
Try bleeding it manually with 1 under the car as well, almost worked best for me....speedbleeder's are the ****. It is possible that you got a bad master as well. Was it a GM, tick? If it's a auto part store master.....get your $ back....they are trash.
Speedbleeders are the **** as in or ? Why would you suggest under the car instead of a vacuum system? Almost everyone I know goes the vacuum route.
And the master is a GM part.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's unlikely that you boiled the fluid and lost that much, sounds like you just have air in the system. Does the Mity-Vac you have require two people? The one I use pushes fluid through the system, from the resorvoir to the bleeder. It's a one man operation.

And speed bleeders are the **** meaning they're awesome.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Grifter
It's unlikely that you boiled the fluid and lost that much, sounds like you just have air in the system. Does the Mity-Vac you have require two people? The one I use pushes fluid through the system, from the resorvoir to the bleeder. It's a one man operation.

And speed bleeders are the **** meaning they're awesome.
Bled the system with the MityVac and have no idea what happened. Lost all pedal and all and finally just got fed up and stopped messing with it. Hit the resevoir out of pissed offness while my helper was pumping the pedal...
Car must be a woman. Responds well to hitting!

Kidding!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be a defective master cylinder or slave if you can't find a leak anywhere. Unfortunately, sometimes even new parts just fail for reasons unknown. Hydraulic clutch issues are a PITA to deal with.