Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 / Spec 3 / Monster 3 clutch decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also installed the tick speed bleeder and adj. m/c. both work great.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, thats a great idea since our cars arent cable powered
Originally Posted by LS1-450
johnzss, an adjustable master cylinder is always a good idea. As clutch parts wear, an adjustable master will allow you to increase slave cylinder travel. It will also allow for optimum initial install release point, regardless of which clutch you decide on. Also, you may want to try a "puck" style clutch before buying one, if possible. IMO, they pretty much suck.
Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Remember, clutch life and performance are related to a number of factors including installation, break-in, driving style, power/torque level, and usage type, etc... That being said for great street manners and high capacity you can't go wrong with a stage 3+ which uses a full-faces carbon-semi-metallic disc material and our high-clamp 12" pressure-plate. Let me know if you have any questions about our product and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
I agree, a lot comes to play when pin pointing the "life" of a clutch. Thanks for you suggestion, and i will definitely keep you guys in mind!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm putting a Spec 3+ in my 427 build. My criteria were full face spring hub and no dual discs. After speaking with a lot of people I trust, I'm going with the Spec 3+. I don't track my car and do get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic at times. A smooth clutch that will hold the power is paramount to me.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

The only one you lsited that I have experience with is the Monster Lvl 3. It's been in my car for about a week. I just hit the 200 mile mark, and my chatter was gone almost 90% by the 120 mile mark *shrug*. The pedal is quite a bit stiffer than stock... though I didn't drive my car about a month before the install, so maybe my leg was a bit weaker . Anyway, the clutch grabs great, chatter is very minimal (much better than any other puck style i've driven so far)! I can't comment on wear yet though lol. It sure feels great going through the gears though. The lightweight flywheel was a nice change too.. seems to keep me more in tune with the car where before I would usually have my shift done before the rpms would drop enough to match the next gear in normal street driving, they are right there most of the time now.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say a monster level 4 clutch. Im putting 423 to the wheels, and plan on a 150 wetkit in the spring. I have 5,000miles on the clutch so far, and she has held great. even have about 20 track passes on it, doing 4,000-4,5000rpm clutch drops. Even the anouncer at the track mentioned how bad *** the clutch was, when she was deadhooking and bogging on my sticky hoosier's.Car is cutting consistant 1.7-1.8 60ft's. with stock irs suspension. Im running the stock mc, but put a new slave cylinder and pilot bearing. Oh yeah the goat has almost 100,000mi. on it, Im hoping this clutch will last until the car hit's 150,000 mi.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Trying to figure out which clutch to use myself. Thanks for the info in this thread.

-Seth
Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

well I picked my car up from LMR yesterday Steven and his crew installed my new patriot ls6 heads and that monster clutch level 4 is right on point.I have not did any hard launching at all but I am extremely impressed with the break in play very happy.Spec warranty can't touch Monsters that is a fact!!!Spend your money wisely.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Spec 3+ is a great clutch.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:56 AM
Staging Lane

Any clutch company can mistakely send out faulty materials at times but very few are willing to accept responsibilty knowing that the **** does happen at times simply because their is no perfect company.These people aren't crazy they know we street race our cars,we take the cars to the track and we also spray these cars so its always a chance that our behavior is also a factor when materials become faulty.However I did race my car for the first time today and the Monster level 4 is one bad MF and holds really well.Gave my best friend a ride and as soon as we pulled off he said he could feel it grabbing from the passenger seat.My spec 3+ never gave me a performing problem one of the best out there just died to soon.The edge does go to Monster!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Im in the same position and dont know which clutch to go with.. The car isnt a daily driver but will be a weekend cruiser but will also see the track often ..
Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

monster!Really not that hard of a discision or spec3+.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

I had a stage 4 in a DD and now i walk funny cause one leg is stronger than the other
Old 02-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Good reading in here. Nice opinions and experience.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man i was sure i was going to get a ls7 clutch, but it seems like yall really like yall's monster level 3 and 4's... im going to have to do some research and price them out, im prob just going to get the level 3 as i wont be pushin more than 400rwhp anytime soon... this thread is awesome! im glad to hear that the monster clutch does not chatter after a proper break in... are yall going with just a new oe MC and SC?

holy hell 800 for a freakin clutch.... damn iunno about that...

Last edited by 02CamaroSSLE; 02-09-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by c5z16z
have any of you guys heard whats the life of a monster clutch how long would they last?
Well, it's a performance clutch.

The guys at monster told me about 20k out of a stage III.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to the OP if you ever wanna get rid of that never used ls7 clutch shoot me a pm
Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Had a stage 3 monster and now a stage 5, like them both. The level 5 makes a small squeal when taking off but other then that its STOUT! The ls7 clutch isnt bad either, not sure how they are for track racing though...
Old 02-12-2010, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Be careful with the LS7 kit when getting closer to 500+rwhp. The release forks/fingers broke on my LS7 with maybe 12k on it if that. I'm swapping the LS7 for a Monster St3 in my 1999, heard nothing but good things about monster. Spec is good but through all the research, have seen alot of hit or miss with them. Not bashing Spec at all, and they make awesome clutches for sure. It just makes me a little edgy if I have to remove the tranny in the next year just for a clutch. A friend of mine has a Spec 2+ and it has done him right with his 408.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

A brief look around the forums reveals that no matter what you buy or where you buy it there is always a possibility for issues. Though it's easy to blame the clutch, if an issue arrises, I can tell you that more times than not clutch issues result from errors relative to installation, improper hydraulic function, lack of proper break-in and incorrect stage selection which is dependent upon the cars torque output and planned usage. These factors can affect any clutch from any manufacture.

As many of you know, we do our very best to provide a high-quality product made with the best materials available. These parts are triple-checked before they are packaged and shipped to the buyer to insure proper function and performance and they are backed by our warranty should you have any issue relative to manufacturing or materials. If you have any further questions let me know and I will be happy to assist you! Thanks,
Old 02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Though it's easy to blame the clutch, if an issue arrises, I can tell you that more times than not clutch issues result from errors relative to installation, improper hydraulic function, lack of proper break-in and incorrect stage selection which is dependent upon the cars torque output and planned usage. These factors can affect any clutch from any manufacture.
I couldn't have said it better!

I'm a bit biased so of course I'm going to say Monster, but, Jeremy at Spec does throw out a good point.

Quick Reply: LS7 / Spec 3 / Monster 3 clutch decision