Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Eye Candy...faceplated T56

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eye Candy...faceplated T56

Well guys, I know it has been awhile since I have been on the Forum answering tech threads, but all the PM's I get keeps me PLENTY busy, haha!!

Anyways, we don't get to many faceplated trannies, so now that the shop is in teh middle of one, wanted to post up some pics for you guys. Enjoy:

Got tranny?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

I want it
Old 02-13-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know the wait was worth it. Can't wait to get that back and try it out. Thanks again Derek, dealing with you has been a pleasure. Wish I could say the same for Liberty.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

what is faceplating? can ya explain, ive never heard of that.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bigj2717
I want it

yeah, pretty cool stuff for sure....took awhile for us to get gears back, but as you can tell, it was worth it...
Old 02-14-2010, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
I know the wait was worth it. Can't wait to get that back and try it out. Thanks again Derek, dealing with you has been a pleasure. Wish I could say the same for Liberty.

You bet, anytime. Our pleasure.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ttranssam
what is faceplating? can ya explain, ive never heard of that.

Sure can.

Basically, here is a picture of a stock setup (synchronizers):

See all teh "little teeth"? When you shift gears, ALL of those teeth have to "slide home" into their "little slots".

Now, take a look at a faceplated setup (does away with all of those "little teeth"):

Now, all of those "little teeth" ahve become just a few "lugs", so have alot easier time finding their way "home", here:

Make sense?

Basically, you have ALOT more room for the engagement window...you only have 7 lugs, or "teeth" that have to engage on a faceplaed tranny, as opposed to trying to slide 50 or 60 "teeth" on a synchronized tranny into place. Now, not sure on how many actual teeth are on a synchro, but there are alot I can assure you(start counting in that pic above, and that is only @ 1/4 of a synchro, so you can imagine)

Last edited by Gen414; 02-14-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

what is the advantages and disadvantages of such a setup? Is it better for the street or the strip?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:19 PM
FormerVendor

So as to not confuse, and try and get facts correct..appears that there are 42 teeth on a 1/2 synchro (had a better pic of a 1/2 synchro so I could count)
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fucter
what is the advantages and disadvantages of such a setup? Is it better for the street or the strip?
The advantages would be being able to power shift much easier, quicker, and without the risk of tearing up your stock stuff. It makes it much easier to "hit" each gear and not miss a shift.
The disadvantage to this is driving it on the street. It's not recommended. Many people do, as will I, but it will take completely changing your driving habits. Due to there being no syncros, downshifting will be very difficult. You will need to "rev match", or match the rpms of the engine with the input shaft in the trans. That way everything is spinning at the same speed and it should slide right in. Here's a video showing what it takes to drive one on the street. This one is pro shifted, not facepated but you drive it exactly the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-MABhwPV00
Old 02-14-2010, 12:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fucter

Advantages are for strip only...less likely to miss gears (in fact, basically impossible at this point to miss a gear) Not saying you CAN'T, but you would really have a hard time missing a gear at this point.

Disadvantages...basically, more noise/clunking from tranny when shifting. You can get used to it (driving on the street) but if you are a "AC/heat/radio/sound deading material" type of guy, chances are faceplating is not for you.

If you are a "ripped out all AC/heat/carpet/radio/sound deadening material loud as I can get it" kind of guy, faceplating is for you.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:37 PM
FormerVendor

Sweiser...make sure you get us some video when you get that MONSTER clutch and your FACEPLATED tranny installed, all from MORRIS MOTORSPORTS .....been working so much on OTHER people's trans/stuff, need to light a fire under my *** to get me back going on my junk! Maybe a good video will help out!

Enjoy!
Old 02-14-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gen414
Sweiser...make sure you get us some video when you get that MONSTER clutch and your FACEPLATED tranny installed, all from MORRIS MOTORSPORTS .....been working so much on OTHER people's trans/stuff, need to light a fire under my *** to get me back going on my junk! Maybe a good video will help out!

Enjoy!
You bet! Dad and I have been wanting to get one of those Go Pro cameras. Maybe we'll go ahead and get one now.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i wanna drive my car not a semi...lol cool stuff though. i like learning a little bit about anything i can.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

What is the cost factor for the gear set modified for face plating and is their an option for aftermarket straight cut gears for high HP applications.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone have any good vids of a faceplated t56. That one looks like a pain in the *** to drive, and its not any faster at WOT or anything?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

What is the difference between this and a Dog Box setup, they seem to do the same thing, but then again, I have only had a limited experaince with them? When I had my 3000GT VR4 and was messing with the Imports I knew a few that had the Dog Box Trans. It was fun to drive, but it needs a little getting use to for traffic use.

Dog Box info:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665334

DM
Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by studderin
anyone have any good vids of a faceplated t56. That one looks like a pain in the *** to drive, and its not any faster at WOT or anything?
A good driver would make it faster. I'm not saying the guy in the video is a bad driver either. You pretty much have to push the clutch in almost all the way on a stock trans. With it faceplated you can just "slap" the clutch pedal with your foot just enough to disengage it and pull the next gear. It WILL go into the next gear even if the clutch isn't depressed. Once you get used to barely pushing in the clutch you will be noticeably quicker with your shifts. An adjustable master will make it even better.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
What is the difference between this and a Dog Box setup, they seem to do the same thing, but then again, I have only had a limited experaince with them? When I had my 3000GT VR4 and was messing with the Imports I knew a few that had the Dog Box Trans. It was fun to drive, but it needs a little getting use to for traffic use.

Dog Box info:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665334
DM
http://www.libertysgears.com/faceplate.htm
Old 02-15-2010, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Reaper SS
What is the cost factor for the gear set modified for face plating and is their an option for aftermarket straight cut gears for high HP applications.

Well, all depends...but faceplating 4 gears (5th and 6th are not faceplated, and are still synchronized) will normally run ya @ $800-$1000 all depending on a few things.

At this moment ANYTHING is possible, if your wallet is deep enough, but no, to the best of my knowledge, no one is making straight cut gears for teh T56. Now, I am not 100% on that, but am 99% positive.
There are options in getting the gears made out of a stronger alloy, the 9310, and that will set ya back @ $2500+

Quick Reply: Eye Candy...faceplated T56