Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trouble mounting a T56 to a ASA LS1

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble mounting a T56 to a ASA LS1

I have run into a roadblock with my project Miata and need some help.

I have a '00 GM performance ASA spec LS1 engine out of a stock car. I also have a '98 T56 tranny out of a F-body.

I tried to put the two together today and I have an issue...

The input shaft on the tranny is bottoming out on the pilot bearing before the bellhousing is flush with the back of the block. The machined tip of the input shaft goes into the pilot bearing, then bottoms out when the splines begin. I have a good 1/4in gap.
  • I checked to see if the pilot bearing was fully seated in the crank and it was.
  • I checked the casting number on the T56 just to make sure that I bought a LS1 T56 and it is correct. (13-86-017)
  • I don't have the clutch/flywheel mounted right now so there is no interference there. I was getting ready to mount the engine/tranny and locate the tranny crossmember.
I don't understand what is going on.

Is there something different with the crank on an ASA motor?

I just had the tranny rebuilt. Is it possible to put the input shaft in the wrong location?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frustrated Shawn
Old 02-20-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If your crank has the large pilot bearing in the outside lip of the crank, it will prevent the longer input shaft of the LS1 from fully seating and leave about a 1/2-inch gap between block and bell. If so, pull it out and get the smaller GM bushing that seats deeper in the crank.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts

^^X2..same thing I was thinking..
Old 02-21-2010, 05:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
If your crank has the large pilot bearing in the outside lip of the crank, it will prevent the longer input shaft of the LS1 from fully seating and leave about a 1/2-inch gap between block and bell. If so, pull it out and get the smaller GM bushing that seats deeper in the crank.
You are correct! I have a pilot bearing in there now. I just did a search and saw the stock pilot bushing. Big difference.

I'm sure I would have found this when I put the new clutch in, but being that I was just test fitting everything, the pilot bearing/bushing never came into play.

Thanks for the help. Swapping a pilot bearing or bushing in this case is a much better solution than I thought I was going to get. I guess my glass was half empty because I was thinking different crank, machining the crank, or different tranny.

You made my day. Have a good one!

Shawn