Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Block 5th and 6th gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block 5th and 6th gear?

I tried searching for this, but can't find what I'm looking for.

I have an LS1/T56 that I'm using in a drift car. I only use 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and reverse gears. Is it possible to block 5th and 6th gear so there's no way I can accidentally shift into those?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 209 Likes on 162 Posts

The only way I can think of is to get the Pattern Guide Plate out and weld in the 5 & 6 grooves. Then you might aswell remove the 5 & 6 Gears/Synchro Assembly, and the Fork..get the most benefit out of it. Not sure about the 5 & 6 Rail..I don't see why it can't be removed since the Reverse Rail runs full-length.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Not sure about the 5 & 6 Rail..I don't see why it can't be removed since the Reverse Rail runs full-length.
The case guild pin for the 5/6/R rail runs in the 5/6 portion, so that will need to be retained. Otherwise your other suggestions should work. (I'm not sure about welding the hardend steel guide plate...)
Old 02-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Banned

I agree, I would simply remove those parts to lighten up the unit and reduce the drag inside the unit.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The case guild pin for the 5/6/R rail runs in the 5/6 portion, so that will need to be retained. Otherwise your other suggestions should work. (I'm not sure about welding the hardend steel guide plate...)
Very true, I forgot about that Guide Pin.

He said he didn't want to be able to shift into 5th and 6th..and welding in that Guide Plate is about the only way I can see that happening.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

He said he didn't want to be able to shift into 5th and 6th..and welding in that Guide Plate is about the only way I can see that happening.
Oh I agree with the concept, just not sure about the execution..

Improper welding on that hardened plate can cause it to crack and leave you in a whole lot of doo-doo...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Yea..true. Then again messing with that peice kinda defeats the purpose of the 6 Speed..lol
Old 02-22-2010, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input, guys.

I was wondering if there was some reasonably easy "bolt-on" way of doing this but doesn't look like it. I'd like to be able to easily put it back to normal if I decide to take it on the streets or sell the trans. So welding the slots is not something I would do.

Maybe I'll fabricate some kind of plate that bolts over the shifter (uses the 4 shifter bolts) that stops the actual shifter rod from going into 5th/6th.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

The T56 shifter has no gates to block, it's free moving. Check around with the sponsors that repair T56s to try and get a spare plate and take it to a certified welder to modify.. As long as they know what they're doing and re-temper the plate, it should be ok.. I wouldn't try to DIY it..
Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miro
Is it possible to block 5th and 6th gear so there's no way I can accidentally shift into those?
You could try learning how to shift. I don't know about anyone else on this site but I have never accidentally shifted into 5th or 6th.

Last edited by xXxSilveradoxXx; 02-23-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
You could try learning how to shift. I don't know about anyone else on this sight but I have never accidentally shifted into 5th or 6th.
Hahaha. I appreciate your input, bro.

But try entering a banked turn at 80 mph about a foot from the wall, riding the wall sideways all the way around, then braking and e-braking while still sideways, then having about half a second to take your hand off the e-brake, shift down while matching revs, and get back on the gas. Oh, and did I mention you're following a car about 2ft in front of you completely blind because he's pouring smoke in your face? Yeah, go try that a few times and let me know if you ever mis-shift.

Like I said, it doesn't happen very often. I did it twice last year out of 25 events/more than a thousand runs, but the chance is there, and there's no reason not to eliminate it if an easy solution exists.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

It's called a Richmond 4 spd..
Old 02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miro
Hahaha. I appreciate your input, bro.

But try entering a banked turn at 80 mph about a foot from the wall, riding the wall sideways all the way around, then braking and e-braking while still sideways, then having about half a second to take your hand off the e-brake, shift down while matching revs, and get back on the gas. Oh, and did I mention you're following a car about 2ft in front of you completely blind because he's pouring smoke in your face? Yeah, go try that a few times and let me know if you ever mis-shift.

Like I said, it doesn't happen very often. I did it twice last year out of 25 events/more than a thousand runs, but the chance is there, and there's no reason not to eliminate it if an easy solution exists.
I've never drifted my WS.6 but I have in my twin turbo Z32. Still, I've never really missed a shift. Honestly, you make it sound like a laundry list of things that need to be done and give a ton of reasons why it's hard. If you think about it that way it's bound to be harder than it needs to be. In my opinion you need to get to the point where it's almost second nature. It's like walking, at first you think about it the complete wrong way. You concentrate on controlling your legs and your balance individually. Now that we're all grown up and have been walking for years we don't thing about controlling our legs and balance. We just think, "I wanna go over there" and we make it happen. Same with drifting.

With that said, I see four solutions:
1. Practice with the 6-speed until you get it right
2. Convert to a 4-speed
3. Convert to a manually controlled automatic
or
4. Fabricate up a 5th, 6th and reverse lockout

You could easily fabricate a removable stop to limit the side to side sweep of the shifter to block out the overdrives and reverse. If I was you I would make it removable though, that way if you need reverse or an overdrive gear it could still be used.

Out of curiosity, what kind of car do you drift?

It's called a Richmond 4 spd..
word
Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

I drive an S13.

http://www.vimeo.com/8898790

Quick Reply: Block 5th and 6th gear?