Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car goes into gear fine, buzzes or grinds while accelerating, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car goes into gear fine, buzzes or grinds while accelerating, need help

I have a strange problem and after a search can't find the answer. Since my motor rebuild I am now having a tranny vibration/buzz/grind while under heavy load coming through the shifter that developed after about 3000 miles. It sounds like a bunch of BBs rattling around a plastic film canister. The noise/buzz comes right from the shifter, and it feels like the clutch is slipping or a miss fire. It engages into gear absolutely fine, new Tick master, low mileage Textralia. I can accelerate at 40-60% throttle and rev it to 5500 rpm fine, it makes no buzz or is barely noticeable. If I go heavy throttle over that the vibration happens and the slipping. It gets worse as I climb gears and is the worst in 3rd. I am completely stumped. I am seeing if anyone has had this happen before or if anyone knows what it could be. It is strange how it only does it under heavy load. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd check your tranny mount, u-joints, driveshaft, rear-end first. Most vibrations occur there and are easily transmitted through to the shifter.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the car on a lift last night and everything looked fine. Wondering if it's the the clutch, or what in the transmission could cause such an effect with no problems engaging into gear. I know jack ***** about transmissions.

Quick Reply: Car goes into gear fine, buzzes or grinds while accelerating, need help