Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Noisy spec stg 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSINNER
Besides the squealing noise durring engagement, has anyone else experienced a really stiff clutch with a stg 3 spec and tick master?? Mine feels like your trying to push down on a soccer ball. I got used to it after many cramps in my calf and it just makes the car a major pain in traffic.
I've had the exact same problem as you. I have a spec clutch with an an aluminum flywheel and about 5k after the install, it start making this weird sound when taking off from a stop. I pulled the clutch out and found some scoring on the flywheel surface and the pressure plate. There were also some very small pieces of the disc stuck to the flywheel. I used a 90º die grinder with very light scotch-brite pad to clean up the flywheel and pressure plate friction surfaces. I know some will say thats a bad idea but it worked for me. No more weird engagement noises and no more chatter. As for the heavy pedal, your just going to have to get use to it. The tick master actually increases pedal effort but allows for more disengagement. Put together the tick master and the already heavier than stock spec clutch equals a work out for your left leg!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
I've had the exact same problem as you. I have a spec clutch with an an aluminum flywheel and about 5k after the install, it start making this weird sound when taking off from a stop. I pulled the clutch out and found some scoring on the flywheel surface and the pressure plate. There were also some very small pieces of the disc stuck to the flywheel. I used a 90º die grinder with very light scotch-brite pad to clean up the flywheel and pressure plate friction surfaces. I know some will say thats a bad idea but it worked for me. No more weird engagement noises and no more chatter. As for the heavy pedal, your just going to have to get use to it. The tick master actually increases pedal effort but allows for more disengagement. Put together the tick master and the already heavier than stock spec clutch equals a work out for your left leg!
Thanks for the info. I may look into that. Im pretty used to the stiff clutch pedal while driving normal. I actually like the way it feels cause its got good feedback when your running the car hard. I dont like a soft clutch pedal. Inching around in traffic is just a nightmare and exhausting.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Having deposits on the surfaces would evidence that the disc was super-heated and that is began to melt as a result. As cooling occured it allowed the material to transfer to the friction surface of the plate and or flywheel. If this has occured cleaning the surfaces can help but you want to be careful to insure that the plate and flywheel surface are not warped as a result. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 03-15-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same problem as from what was mentioned in the first post about squealing in first gear, most noticeably when you feather that gear and when the engine is cold. it sounds almost like a really strange laugh--the squeal oscilates as you release the clutch.

i have had my spec 2 for 5 years and never had this problem until about a year ago. i was told it isn't a big deal, but just the other day my clutch slipped for the first time ever, which indicates something has worn. whether or not the noise has to do with this is something i can't answer, but i will agree that the noise can be embarrassing and i try my best not to feather the clutch if i can help it as well.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info J. Auvil. It just may be time to go with a new setup which sucks cause this ones only got 10k on it with 3 track passes and its less than a year old. If its gonna get torn down i may as well replace something.

I know what you mean TUFFLUCK. The noise is embarassing cause everyone stares at you and your passengers always ask what the hell the noise is. BTW How was your Spec stg 2 at first? You seem to be happy with it. I've been thinking of stepping down a stage cause i rarely hit the track so i figure a stg 2 may be better for just a strong street vehicle. Just doesnt leave much room for future mods.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the same thing when I had it (although it started sooner), but a rental day full of hard launch clutch dumps and burnouts took care of it.

It eventually came back a little but more hard launches and burnouts always made it go away for a while.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Mine did the same thing when I had it (although it started sooner), but a rental day full of hard launch clutch dumps and burnouts took care of it.

It eventually came back a little but more hard launches and burnouts always made it go away for a while.
Guess thats one way to make it stop lol. Actually now that u mentioned it a lot of the chatter went away after i let a guy test drive it so he could see how bad it was and he bucked it around pretty hard and revved the **** out of it trying to get it going and i havent had as much chatter since

Quick Reply: Noisy spec stg 3