Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car will not go into gear while running

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem. But I have the 04 GTO with 02 Camaro SS T56 in a Nissan 240sx S13.

I have the Spec clutch stage 3...it came with a shim to go in between the slave and we never put the shim in. And I thought that might be the problem, but now that I have read this and saw that the F Body's are having the same issue makes me think it might be the Slave cylinder.

Can someone jump in on thoughts please???
Old 09-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

there was a problem on a '00 model fbody i was looking at buying. the mechanic the guy brought it to to change the clutch forgot to put some sort of spacer between the master cylinder and the tranny. and thats what was causing it. it did the same as you described... would go into gear when car was off but not when it was running and when you cank it in gear it would start trying to go and would almost take off when cranking up in reverse. hope this helps
Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously there is air in the lines still. Put a mitivac on the master cylinder cap. Pull about 15-20 in of vacuum and pump slowly. Also just leave in held down with vacuum on it.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 AM
FormerVendor

Another point worth considering is disc thickness. For instance if the thickness of the new disc is not the same as the original is could lead to lack of release (if it were thicker). I can't attest to the thickness of the ZOOM parts but anything is possible.

At any rate, thanks for choosing one of our Stage 3 kits as your replacement. Please me know if you have any further questions.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

JDM, The shim is intended to be installed. If it was not then it should be. Of course, you can certainly try bleeding the system before doing this if you like. I suggest using a mighty-vac to accomplish this and recommend connecting to both the bleeder located on the slave and to the reservoir mounted on the firewall too. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Car will not go into gear while running