Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whining from shifter from 1-4 , HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whining from shifter from 1-4 , HELP !!!

I have a built tranny, i dd this car and the tranny has been flawless for the last 2 years, it still shifts smooth like butter......Last night i noticed a whining noise from the shifter area that starts in first and up through the gears , even 4th 5th and 6th but less noticable in 5-6, the sound seems to match the engine rpms and only does it when driving and is bad when downshifting, i can push the clutch in and leave it in and go from 5 to 4th, 4th to 3rd and so on, and with the clutch in the whole time while downshifting it still does it, the only time it doesnt do it is when im stopped or if i put the car into neutral while driving and let it coast, has to be in gear and under load for the noise to occur.....Best explanation for the sound is the sound of a steering pump whine, but for ***** and giggles i checked the fluid in that and it was fine.....Fluid is also good to go in the tranny( no leaks ) and running Amsoil atf.....Please help me fellas
Old 03-28-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

BTW i had my wife stand in our driveway and i drove by in 3rd, pushed and held in the clutch, downshifted to a few gears with the clutch still pushed in and she said she heard it on the outside of the car....Again, tranny still shifts like butter and i have "0" vibrations
Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned

And you are sure the noise is there in 4th gear?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i did some reading on here and just got back from a drive to double check and it does it in every gear, just less noticable in the higher gears
Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 AM
TECH Resident

TTT for help....One thing i thought of is the same day it started, not sure if this could make the whining noise through the drivetrain and make it sound like its coming from the tranny, but i cleaned my car up and got underneath it to clean and grease my lca fittings and i noticed on my UMI adjustable TA that the jam nut that u tighten once u get it adjusted was loose, so i tighened it....Its a tranny mt TA but i have the X-member relocation bracket so its not actually mounted striaght to the tranny....Could it have changed adjustment with that jam nut being loose???
Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

TTT again.....all these t56 gurus on here and nothin, come on fellas
Old 04-03-2010, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like bearing noise to me which is related to engine speed. my guess is the input shaft bearing is making the noise. as you upshift through the gears the input shaft slows down since you are in a higher gear and the engine speed is lower while the vehicle speed is higher. the input shaft slows down, the mainshaft speeds up. i would rule out the mainshaft bearings since those would make more noise the faster they spin. i would also rule out the gear bearings since the noise happens in all gears. thats my .02, good luck on the diag.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Ive went to a few tranny guys and they all seem to think its a bearing...Im gonna order a bearing kit and get it done shortly
Old 04-04-2010, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You going to do it yourself Sammy? That sucks though all that **** has to come apart.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Hell no, i know dick about building a tranny, lol....But it has to be done, i got a guy thats gonna hook it up
Old 04-05-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same annoying whining from my t56 and it does sort of fades away as I go in higher gears. I'm told that it sounds like it's a wore out input shaft bearing.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
I have the same annoying whining from my t56 and it does sort of fades away as I go in higher gears. I'm told that it sounds like it's a wore out input shaft bearing.
Well if u take it out to get fixed ,let me know what it was, and if i get mine out first, ill post up