Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch for 400+whp and Trans Rebuild questions. Thinking Tick lvl 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch for 400+whp and Trans Rebuild questions. Thinking Tick lvl 2

I am going to pulling my T56 this weekend and sending it to Tick for a Level 2 rebuild. I was hoping to have some questions answered. I am a college student and I am on a pretty tight budget but I have heard great things about this Level II package.

First off, a little more info about the car. It is cam only / bolt-on car that makes 412 rwhp/ 418rwtq SAE. The car currently has a Cartek Stage III clutch which was installed at ~35k miles. Car now has over 97k miles. Car also has the drill mod and 2002 Clutch Hydraulics. The car may see more power via a heads and intake swap in the future. I do not expect the car to have over 450-460rwhp any time soon but it could have a little bit more than current in the next couple of years.

The main problem with the transmission is 2nd gear. When driving the car, I shift into second and it feels like it is in gear. When letting out the clutch, the gear does not engage (and sometimes I get a slight grinding noise) despite the stick still appearing to be in second gear. This happens probably about ~75% of the time during normal driving (I now just skip second gear) and 100% of the time at WOT shift near redline. The transmission does have other slight issues (occasional slight grind on the 3-4 shift and problems going back into first while rolling faster than 10mph), but the second gear problem is really thing only thing prompting this rebuild.

I was planning on getting the Level II kit and a new AC Delco slave / throw out bearing. Should I have my bearings replaced @ 97k miles? Should I expect additional things wrong with the transmission and adding expense?

I daily drive the car during the warm months about 1/2 the year. It sees around 7-8k miles per year. The car does see some time at the track and autocross events. I want the car to be able to hold up to that kind of abuse. The car does still have a 10 bolt with 4.10s and a girdle, so its is not getting pushed to its absolute limits. I may bolt on drag radials in the future.

I do drive the car fairly hard on the street. I occasionally like to run through the gears quickly, but it won't see 5k clutch dumps much if ever.

This brings me to another major concern, with 60k+ miles on a stage three clutch, I am assuming it is getting close to replacement time. It is currently still holding great and I have no problems with it and I love the way it grabs but I do not want to be pulling this transmission again in 5k miles when it does start acting up.

Should I replace the clutch now? Do you have a recommendation for a clutch to use? I know that the Textrailia OZ700 has fantastic reviews, but I don't know if my car really demands a $1000 clutch and as I said, I am on a budget. I know you have a fairly large selection, I am not very partial to any one brand. I want something that will hold my power and last a decent amount without making my left leg fall off. Also heard great things about the Monster Stage 3.

I sent pretty much this same thing to Tick but I haven't gotten a response yet….
Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

I don't really see a question in all of that, except about the clutch. I would replace it while it was apart if it was me. It would definitly suck to have to pull it apart again in a few months.

Ihave the Tick level 2 in my car with the cryo treatment and micropolish. I love it.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

What are the benefits of the cryo treatment? (I'm guessing durability) and the micropolish?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
I was planning on getting the Level II kit and a new AC Delco slave / throw out bearing. Should I have my bearings replaced @ 97k miles? Should I expect additional things wrong with the transmission and adding expense?

Should I replace the clutch now? Do you have a recommendation for a clutch to use?
these.

and general thoughts about the tick level II for my application.

other places or options?

any other parts I should be upgrading / replacing while I am at it?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

I would do a clutch kit while I was at it if it were me. Clutch, PP, throwout bearing, flywheel.

The cryo strengthens the hard parts inside the tranny. The micropolish reduces the amount of parasitic loss from the rotational mass of the internals.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tick said Monster Lvl II or LS7.

what do you guys think
Old 04-01-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am thinking monster level two,

what are you guys thinking about flywheel choice? is an 18lb flywheel going to be a real pain to drive? how will it stand up to abuse compared to the steel unit?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, it is out but I guess tick was closed today.

I tried calling them several times to no avail. I guess we wait until monday, she is ready to ship though!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

I would go with the level 3 monster kit, and its on sale this month.
I have a very similar set-up to you but without the tranny issues.
Today, I just had a tick master cyliner installed, along with a spec 3 clutch with 300 miles on it. The shifts are much smoother and faster then the stock master/hydraulics