Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

possible clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default possible clutch problem

Ok so I just bought an 02 Z28 I have been around and owned 1 previous f-body in my years. But I have a question. This car has a Spec Stage 2 clutch in it and a Spec flywheel. Both will about 3k miles atleast that is what I was told by the member of this forum that I bought it from...he seems to be a very honest and stand up guy..but anyways when I start from a DEAD stop the clutch rattles,shakes...the shifter..,and squeaks only when taking off...it really loud and shakes pretty hard and as soon as it is all the way released it quits completely. Thought maybe something was out of balance or out of alignment. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long read
Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is that you got a spec. I had nothing but problems with my stage 3 and stage 1 specs. Those clutches are made to chatter and make you want to personaly kick the owner of spec in the nuts.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Ferg, Let me know a bit more about the situation? Does the chatter you feel only occur during clutch engagement (when leaving from a stopped position). If so, this this is in fact chatter and it can be made more pronounced by the lack of proper break-in which can result in glazing of the disc. You also mention a rattle. Does this occur with the pedal released at idle? If so, then this is known as clatter and it results from the use of a lightened flywheel which will have less NVH dampening than the stock steel unit. Using a more viscous transmission fluid can help reduce this noise a bit. As for the squeaking sound during engagement this too points at possible break-in issues and glazing. If you would like to pull the parts and send me some pics I will be happy to discuss this with your further. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Slayer, thanks for such wonderful insight (lol). There are countless people on this forum that have had great expereinces with our parts. I sure am sorry that you weren't happy with your's and if you have any questions about your situation you are welcome to contact me at your convenience.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Ferg, Let me know a bit more about the situation? Does the chatter you feel only occur during clutch engagement (when leaving from a stopped position). If so, this this is in fact chatter and it can be made more pronounced by the lack of proper break-in which can result in glazing of the disc. You also mention a rattle. Does this occur with the pedal released at idle? If so, then this is known as clatter and it results from the use of a lightened flywheel which will have less NVH dampening than the stock steel unit. Using a more viscous transmission fluid can help reduce this noise a bit. As for the squeaking sound during engagement this too points at possible break-in issues and glazing. If you would like to pull the parts and send me some pics I will be happy to discuss this with your further. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Slayer, thanks for such wonderful insight (lol). There are countless people on this forum that have had great expereinces with our parts. I sure am sorry that you weren't happy with your's and if you have any questions about your situation you are welcome to contact me at your convenience.

I am Ferg's brother and I appreciate the concern with this problem. I can not speak for the break in procedure on this clutch. It does have a lightweight flywheel so that is most likely the cause of some of the vibration/noise that is occuring. The squeaking that he is describing I find to be a little excessive regardless of break-in procedures and a lightweight flywheel. The other day I was at the front door of my house going inside and he was leaving he backed out of my driveway and put it in first to leave I CLEARLY heard the loud squeaking noise coming from his car at a 50ft.+ distance.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

well when the clutch is engaged it makes no noise...only when I go to release the clutch it makes the noises...it is rather heavy and excessive...and it really isn't possible for me to take the clutch out...unfortunately...I was just wondering if it was possible that something was loose or mis-aligned...also the squeak seems to be coming from directly under the center console and arm rest...if I didn't mention before the shifter shakes around ALOT when taking off and releasing the clutch