Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can anyone reccomend some good shops?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone reccomend some good shops?

Alright so I got a t-56 so swap into my t/a. Now that its starting to warm up outside I've started the swap. I've priced some new hydraulics and such since the stock slave and m/c are shot, but here is the issue...

While taking off the slave I noticed the input shaft seems to have a lot of endplay, I can wiggle it around by hand and it moves a good bit. Something that really scared me however, was the fact that a couple of the mid plate bolts weren't even torqued down, I could spin them off by hand.

The previous owner of the trans said it was gone through and had new bearings/synchros and a steel 3/4 shift fork installed. I took it with a grain of salt considering it was a decent price.

My question is are there any good reputable shops anyone can recommend that I can take my trans to and have it torn down and checked out? I'd prefer something local, but if any of the sponsors here could help me out and give me some quotes/info I'd be glad to give them my business.

I'm hoping it doesn't need anything serious/expensive done, but if it does I'd rather have someone with some experience and a good reputation do it.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tickshift.com Is probably one of the best and most economical.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Trips
While taking off the slave I noticed the input shaft seems to have a lot of endplay, I can wiggle it around by hand and it moves a good bit.
This is normal. That's why the front end of the input shaft is supported by the pilot bearing.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Teching In

I'm aware that there should be some end play, it just seems like a lot to me. Since I don't have a dial caliper to measure the run out there's really no way for me to be sure though.

I also noticed while turning the input shaft in neutral and other gears it seems like something binds a bit and its hard to turn after couple revolutions, then after about half a turn or so it spins freely again. It doesn't want to fully go into 5th gear either.

Between that, and the loose bolts, I really would rather have it gone through than risk any further damage by trying to run it if somethings not right.

I'm open to any ideas though. The less they cost the better lol.

Quick Reply: Can anyone reccomend some good shops?