Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Powershifting w/ Spec 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99monguse
I wouldn't put a SPEC clutch in my lawnmower...i went through 3 before I finally stepped up to my RAM 6130 VDS sytem with all new hydraulics and RAMs adjustable master. I had replavced the slave cylinder twice with brand new GM units and a new GM master cylinder while I had the SPECs. We power bled the damn thing almost a dozen times and still would hang up on a shift. Finally after the pressure plate broke, I had the RAM installed and HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM
Ya thats my next option, Mine anly has 2k on it and just dished out 800$ for the damm thing. So im going to drill drilling my master line this week. and go from there. If drilling the master doesnt work, im throwing in the towel and the clutch is coming out.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate bashing products and I am always willing to let the company try to fix the problem. So many people mod their car or whatever and the very second there a problem, they jump on here and start "what a piece of ****" posting, but anything thats man-made can fail, thats why I give a 2nd chance. I had a SPEC stage 3 installed when SPEC first came out with their LS1 clutches. They told me I didn't need to replace any hydraulics at all, my car only had 14k on it back then (I think that was in 2002). The first clutches friction disk broke just after being installed. SPEC sent the shop another and it was installed but won't completely disengage, so the shop tried multiple times to bleed the system and powerbled it too. After talking to SPEC, they decided maybe it was a hydraulic issue; so I bought a new slave and master cylinder. The first slave was no good so I got another under GM parts warranty; after all this this, the replacement clutches (the 2nd clutch) pressure plate broke, a couple of the fingers in the middle broke; so we got another one. I kept this clutch long enough to get the car on a trailer and took the car to RAPID MOTORSPORTS to have my existing TPIS head/cam package, and clutch replaced. My old TPIS combo was an emmision legal head/cam package using the stock LS1 intake and emission legal GRottyohann longtube headers with cats. That combo was only putting down 375ish rwhp through the stock 10 bolt and stock3.42 gears... weakass package; no reason it should have been destroying clutches like that. Now the last stage 3 that SPEC gave me, I installed into my bone stock 2000 WS6, but I put in new hydraulics and an adjustable master and it seemed to be fine, except for the clutch pedal sticking to the floor on occassion but thats not SPECS fault...that is where the drill-mod is needed. Mike at Rapid Motorsports installed a RAM VDS clutch system using RAMs hydraulics, including their adjustable master cylinder and the 6130 disk. My SS currently has about 420rwhp through a 12 bolt and 4.10 gears. When they dynoed the car it had 17x11 chrome AFS with 315s at the time. The car has a TON more power than it did before when the SPEC clutches were being broken and my RAM is perfect. Now..that was a while ago too, and I would hope that SPEC has fixed their problems but I still wouldn't go that route. I would go RAM or MONSTER or if your not pushing a lot of power and don't plan on heavy mods you could just get yourself a LS7 GM clutch kit for like $300.00; but I would still get an adjustable master.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 AM
FormerVendor

Pressure-plates do not simply break for no reason (you know this right)? Do you have pics of the parts? If you would like to send them to me I would be happy to assess them.

Beyond that, most lawn-mowers don't use conventional clutches (like your LS) so I guess you don't really have to worry about it. Perhaps you'd be better off getting one of these instead...no motor, no clutch...just the purity of you and your lawn (LOL):

If the pic whet's your apetite then you can check out the specs of this beast on the link below.
http://www.bestcovery.com/scotts-200...sic-hand-mower
Attached Thumbnails Powershifting w/ Spec 3-28098770010_medium.jpg  
Old 04-08-2010, 08:52 AM
FormerVendor

It's also worth noting that every kit that we build is checked for proper function (i.e. actuation: release and engagement) as well as clamp load, proper geometry, and balance before shipping. This is done as part of our QC program and allows us to be confident in the products that we produce. As most here know, these cars are known for having frustrating hydraulic systems. You can find countless posts with folks that were conviced that they had "gotten all the air out" or that were "certain it isn't hydraulic" only to find that in the end their issues were in fact hydraulic in nature.

If you have an issue with any of our parts we will be happy to work with you to determine the cause. But wouldn't it make since to be sure of your assertions before blaming the clutch. I realize that a clutches function can seem like black-magic sometimes but the physics behind how they work is actually quite simple. At any rate...let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Last edited by SPEC-01; 04-08-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't want to get into a debate with you over how good the SPEC clutches are, maybe the newer ones are...but in 2002 I had three of your clutches installed by a quality shop (not on jackstands in my driveway) and the 1st clutch the springs in the middle of the disk broke and the 2nd clutch a few of the finger on the pressure plate broke off. The
3rd clutch was fine although it didn't stay in my SS..I put it in my stock WS6. If I had the clutches still, I would be more than happy to post pics and send them to you to figure out why they broke but that was 8 years ago! When all this went down the trans shop did talk to you guys and send pictures and all that, thats how the clutch parts were replaced twice. I personally think that all LS clutches should be sold with the recommendation to replace the hydraulics and have an adjustable master cylinder.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Talking

My Spec 3 has the same problem... have about 450 miles on the new clutch. It just feels sticky and is almost impossible for fast shifting. My first 6 speed too tho so there could be a driver error too lol
Old 04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

All of our kits come with info relative to replacing the OE slave and insuring that the hydraulic system is functioning properly. Can I say for sure that you kit came with this info? No, and it isn't worth beating a dead-horse over. That being said...good luck with the lawn work and let me know if you need anything else.

P.S. I hope that you understand I am joking with you about the lawn-mower stuff. I assume that the humorous nature was clear but...
Old 04-08-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
All of our kits come with info relative to replacing the OE slave and insuring that the hydraulic system is functioning properly. Can I say for sure that you kit came with this info? No, and it isn't worth beating a dead-horse over. That being said...good luck with the lawn work and let me know if you need anything else.

P.S. I hope that you understand I am joking with you about the lawn-mower stuff. I assume that the humorous nature was clear but...

Yeah, I've had good luck with my mower so far, it doesn't have a SPEC clutch. I don't know why I had two bad clutches but the third was ok, with an adjustable master and two new slaves. Have you guys changed the current design from the original back when I had mine?

I know your kidding and the SPEC stage 3 held up just fine in my WS6, maybe I just got two bad kits, IDK.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

Awesome! Lots of things have changed over the past 8 years. Our current kits are 12" assemblies that use a completely different plate and disc set-up. That being said if you decide you need another one in the future let me know. And, as for the mower keep me posted if you want to make that thing really move (they aren't all that different from the karts that I used to toy with as a kid). Nothing like a B&S or Honda motor with a fixed gear on a nice easy chassis to help kids learn car control.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Banned

to the O.P thanks for posting this thread.

I decided to drill my master today , i was having the same issue as you.

I was on the wall about drilling my master because alot of guys said it didnt help them, But since It worked well for you I gave it a shot.

Thanks bro!

Quick Reply: Powershifting w/ Spec 3