Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shakey 6th gear?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shakey 6th gear?!?

Hello to everyone since I'm new to this site! I bought a 1999 WS6 about 2 weeks ago and it has a violent vibration in 6th gear. The motor and trans have been rebuilt. Motor has about 7k and trans has about the same with a new SPEC 3 clutch. The guy I bought it from told be that the new aluminum drive shaft was the problem because it was knocked over when it was leaning against a wall and someone knocked it over when they were about to install it. In my opinion I think the car shakes way to hard for it to be the drive shaft and I think if its the drive shaft it should do it in all gears? The guy swears that its not the trans because "it didn't shake a bit before the rebuild". He also said a family friend did the rebuild. It goes into 6th easily, but when i give it a little gas its like an earthquake. I think the 6th gear may have a tooth missing. Anyone have any input on what the problem could be? Thank you-Nate
Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's odd that anything inside the transmission would cause the shake in 6th, that wouldn't affect 5th also. If the 5/6 cluster on the mainshaft was starting to wear, it may cause 6th to wobble, but I'd say its unlikely. Any clutch wear problems will be exasperated in 6th gear. Driveshaft/u-joints are possible and probably the easiest to check if you can beg/borrow another DS to try.

My $ is on the clutch wear...
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Does it pop out of gear at all? Is the car cammed? Mine shakes a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's from the metal on metal action that the Y pipe is doing to the floor board.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ska4life07
Does it pop out of gear at all? Is the car cammed? Mine shakes a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's from the metal on metal action that the Y pipe is doing to the floor board.
No it doesn't pop out of gear at all and yes it does have ls6 cam and heads. The exhaust defiantly isn't it because it shakes HARD. I'm going to take the drive shaft out tomorrow and take it to a drivetrain shop and have then check to see if its balanced, but I really think it shakes way too hard for for it to be the driveshaft. My uncle is a "shadetree" mechanic and he thinks its the 6th gear itself.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Also, clutch is brand new SPEC 3
Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem right now but it comes and goes... same clutch but cars an rx7 with afr 205s and a mild cam. have you tried punching it in a lower gear? mine starts to skip up rpms i think its a clutch deal
Old 04-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Ya I light em up in 1,2,and 3. I even drop the clutch and its only 6th gear that shakes like crazy. I think its either the 6th gear itself or the flywheel. I took my driveshaft off today and it's straight as an arrow.

Quick Reply: Shakey 6th gear?!?