Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Short stick

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Short stick

Today I installed a short stick from ws6 store. It's on my stock non-hurst shifter. My hurst hasn't come in the mail yet so I put it on just for fun. The problem is now I have some noise issue. I hear a whirring sound now almost like the throw out bearing is going out or something. I never noticed this before with my stock stick. I'm thinking since the short stick doesn't have that big rubber piece on the bottom, so now I'm just hearing the sounds of my transmission going instead of them being canceled out from the rubber. Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the same stick in my 95 Formula.. Had a lil more noise as well, and also figured it was from not having the rubber insert! Nothing to worry about, When you get the Hurst shifter and it get's worse, then maybe have someone take a look at it, but I highly doubt it's anything to worry about bro!

Vince
Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

there is a rubber isolater in the stock shift handle. the short sticks dont have this and will transmit more noise.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I figured it was from the lack of the insert. My main concern is the noise goes away when I put the clutch in. The car turned over 61k yesterday. Another thing too is my buddy's FC does the same thing and his throw out bearing is fried. Mine is still going, but I feel like it's on the way out. Oh well only time will tell thanks for the opinions guys I appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if youre throwout bearing is going bad the noise will always be there since it's always spinning with the engine running. when you put the clutch in the input and countershaft will stop spinning. the gears are in constant mesh and youre spinning 15 of them in there, so yes, there will be some noise. i would not be concerned, maybe drain and fill the fluid since youll have the shifter out.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I changed the fluid about three weeks ago. It needed it lol. The fluid looked like chocolate syrup. It shifts a lot smoother now with the fresh fluid. I'll just have to get used to the new sounds. Hopefully nothing horrible happens.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you want to try and make it quieter, this will help. http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/O...terGaskets.htm The gaskets for the shifter handle will help quiet it down a little.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tspence45
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you want to try and make it quieter, this will help. http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/O...terGaskets.htm The gaskets for the shifter handle will help quiet it down a little.
do those gaskets go between the transmission and the bolt on shifter? If so, I actually made my own because I was sick of siliconing the damn thing on and not being able to get it back off... haha
Old 04-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Ya, the gaskets should help as well! if you made one urself hell that works too! Good luck bro!

Vince

Quick Reply: Short stick