Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

5th gear grinding, only 30K

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5th gear grinding, only 30K

I used to be able to through it in 5th gear 9 times out of 10 and no grinding. Now I can put it all the way in 5th gear and no grinding until I let the clutch out. I am just trying to pin point what I need to fix this, Synchos, Fork pads, whats the deal anyway. I only have slammed 1-4 and they work fine. I do all of my own work, but tearing into the T-56 is new to me. By the way, this is disappointing to me, it only has 30k.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you hear grinding AFTER engagement, then the synchro slider hasn't fully engaged. Typically this is because of worn or broken shift fork pads. They can wear/break with no abuse to, which is why I always recommend a full set of bronze fork pads during a rebuild.. The other thing typically happening is the synchro keys wear/break and won't hold the slider in engagement. And again, I recommend full billet key upgrades to all 3 synchros during a rebuild since the keys can fail with no apparent abuse.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the awesome advice, Do you have a good suggestion where the best place is to buy this and what kits are the best bang for the buck. I would like to save some money and do it myself, so I can afford a clutch and flywheel replacement. Tearing into the T-56 seems complex but the tools seem simple, and think I could follow the write up and do it.

Quick Reply: 5th gear grinding, only 30K