Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

getting the street twin to fully release LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy getting the street twin to fully release LT1

Hello!

I have a 95 firebird (LT1 style) with the mcleod street twin clutch. I do have the mcleod adjustable master cylinder, mated to a brand new line and GM slave cylinder.

I have adjusted the pedal to the stock location from the old master cylinder, but it seems that the clutch isn't fully disengaging when I put in the clutch. I say this because with the clutch fully pushed in, and shifting into any gear, the tranny clunks, the gears feel notchy, and you can feel the car try to move forward just a bit.

Which way do I start to adjust the pedal? I have heard that the rod should be shortened, but this seems counter-intuitive.

Many thanks!

Cody
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

The more info, the better, right?

I just checked, and my clutch pedal looks to be slightly higher then the brake pedal. Dont know if that makes a difference or not. When I set it up, this was where the stock master made the clutch pedal sit...
Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

no one knows which way to adjust the rod? Make it longer or shorter? I know lots of people are running this, so what did they do??
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think you want to raise the pedal a little bit to get more travel as you press it in. This would mean you would make the rod longer right?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

that would be my thoughts, but I the tranny guy I brought it to said I had to shorten it. I cant remember his line of thought though...
Old 05-06-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ended up shortening the rod. I put the rear on jackstands, put the clutch in, put it in first, kept the clutch in, and reved her to 6500 rpms, and the tires didn't move. Looks like she is finally fully releasing. The tires wanted to move just a little bit at 6000 rpms, but nothing too bad. They turned about an 1/8th of a revolution. Good to go!

Quick Reply: getting the street twin to fully release LT1