Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Viper T56 behind LS motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010 | 11:49 AM
Teching In

Default Viper T56 behind LS motor

Hi,
I am new here and have been searching and getting great info on the T56 trans. What I have is 2005 Viper T-56 that I got a great deal on, and it is going into one of my 98 S-10s. It didn't have a speed sensor in it so I had to do research and fixed this issue by buying a 40T ring for the s-10 (so abs will still work) and the viper 10T ring and machined them down to a press fit and put them together. The sensor was a plastic screw in type from the s-10 that i machined the threads off and made a bracket to clamp it in the hole that should have been there from the factory if the sensor whould have been in the transmission. I should have Pics up later for anyone that would like to see this.

My situation now is the Clutch slave, I know the F-body has the mounting holes clocked different. My question is about the length of it, I know the Viper front plate seems to be machined down further than the F-body plate. Is the F-body Clutch Slave long enough to disengage the clutch or is the the Viper slave the one I should be using???? I will be making my own clutch line for this so the bolt holes make no difference to me. I already have the input shaft machined to to F-body specs to fit my motor.

Sorry for the long post but I figured the info will show that I am not posting before searching....

Jason
Old 05-07-2010 | 04:22 PM
jmd
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

If the slave is not long enough, you can use a shim between slave and front plate.

The bolt holes should matter to you only because the bleeder should be up high.

If you're making the lines yourself, I'm not sure a Dodge slave wouldn't work, but I'm not sure.

Have you verified the input length will work?
Old 05-10-2010 | 08:04 AM
Teching In

Do they make just shim kits for the slave? it looks like the Viper front plate was cut down farther than the Camaro plate by about 1/4 inch.

For the bolt holes I would have mounted it so the bleeder hole was high.

I am just wondering if the slaves are the same length or not. If the Viper one is longer it would seem to be the obvious choice because of the front plate. I didn't know if anyone else has been through this before.

The input shaft was modified to camaro specs and it seems to fit fine.

Jason
Old 05-10-2010 | 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

You'll have to double check. But I do believe the viper slave is a little longer.
Old 05-10-2010 | 09:50 AM
jmd
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by jhelling
Do they make just shim kits for the slave? it looks like the Viper front plate was cut down farther than the Camaro plate by about 1/4 inch.

For the bolt holes I would have mounted it so the bleeder hole was high.

I am just wondering if the slaves are the same length or not. If the Viper one is longer it would seem to be the obvious choice because of the front plate. I didn't know if anyone else has been through this before.

The input shaft was modified to camaro specs and it seems to fit fine.

Jason
You should measure ThrowOut brg. surface to PP fingers on a new install anyway.

Clutch installed, trans. on bench, measure Block to PP fingers and bellhousing face to T.O. brg. surface. Block to PP should be slightly less than BH to TO brg surface.

Yes, they're made. Probably won't have to be .25" either.
Old 05-10-2010 | 10:25 AM
Teching In

I'll do that. I knew I was overlooking at step here. I appreciate your help.

Doesn't the clutch slave get compressed when the trans is installed? Or do they extend from their origional position when you push in the clutch? I have never looked at that before....

I think I fried my brain a little trying to get the speed sensor issue figured out. I'll have the ring back from the machine shop tomorrow to throw in there and test the sensor for clearance.

Jason
Old 05-10-2010 | 10:34 AM
jmd
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

bellhousing face to TO brg. surface measurement should be done with slave fully compressed. A new one shouldn't be compressed when installed.

Quick Reply: Viper T56 behind LS motor