Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Problem

I picked up a Zoom clutch from Advance Auto Parts and think I got ripped.

It's was a Zoom Street/Strip Upgraded Clutch Set that ran about $375.00. Came with the PP, Disc, Alignment tool, slave cylinder and bushing. I punched in a 2000 Trans Am and that was one of the kits that came up for replacement clutch.

The Zoom I got from Advance Auto Parts seems to have a smaller disc than the stock disc which doesn't seem right to me. It's only 11" and the stock is a little bigger. This one seems a good bit smaller than the PP. The stock disc looks considerably more heavy duty than this one that came with the Zoom and matches up to the PP better.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not. I could take it back but I'm left with needing a clutch still.

I still have a slave cylinder that I bought seperately before deciding to replace the clutch. Not too sure if I should hang on to that and try to find another kit with just a PP and disc. Another option I tossed around was taking it all back, Zoom kit and the other slave cylinder. Toss the flywheel and get an LS7 kit or a SPEC stage 1 kit maybe stage 2 but don't think I'll be needing that much for a good while.

If anyone can give me any advice on this it would be much appreciated. I will try to get a couple pictures of the stock and the Zoom here shortly.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

I was looking at that clutch for a while. Zoom is a good brand and I believe that clutch is kevlar but when I spoke to them about it they said it's only rated for about 410 flywheel torque, which is basically bolt ons. It's a good deal since you get it all together but I think I'm going to end up going with the PERFECTION clutch for a z06 vette since I already have a flywheel I can resurface. The PERFECTION brand is owned by the same company as zoom and some of their products are just reboxed GM parts, so for $220 for the clutch and pressure plate that seems like a safe choice.

I would be interested in seeing how that clutch works out though if you install it
Old 05-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
I was looking at that clutch for a while. Zoom is a good brand and I believe that clutch is kevlar but when I spoke to them about it they said it's only rated for about 410 flywheel torque, which is basically bolt ons. It's a good deal since you get it all together but I think I'm going to end up going with the PERFECTION clutch for a z06 vette since I already have a flywheel I can resurface. The PERFECTION brand is owned by the same company as zoom and some of their products are just reboxed GM parts, so for $220 for the clutch and pressure plate that seems like a safe choice.

I would be interested in seeing how that clutch works out though if you install it
Any idea on the disc size? I'm about to go out and take a couple pictures so I can give a better idea of what Im' talking about. Kit was a pretty good deal since it came with a slave and everything but the disc size seems like it would be pretty important.

Kind of makes me wonder if they put the wrong disc in the kit for that pressure plate. I don't want to break things worse by installing something that I shouldn't. Unfortunately I haven't had enough experience with this kind of stuff to just look at it and know for sure.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Here are a few pictures showing the stock and the Zoom. Stock has MUCH bigger springs and the disc is a little larger as well as deeper as far as the wear area. Is this normal for an aftermarket clutch anyone? Do aftermarket discs have smaller springs and come in smaller diameter?
Attached Thumbnails Clutch Problem-stock-disc-pp.jpg   Clutch Problem-zoom-disc-pp.jpg   Clutch Problem-stock-zoom-discs.jpg  

Quick Reply: Clutch Problem