Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What are the signs of a pilot bearing going out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What are the signs of a pilot bearing going out?

I've got a new theory on my clutch issues... so, I'm curious. What signs would a busted up pilot bearing show?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

grinding noises for sure, especially when sitting at idle. I saw a pilot bearing one time where the rollers came loose and literally chewed themselves into dust fighting with the input shaft of the tranny.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pilot bearing usually will make noise when the clutch is engaged because that is the only time its actually doing anything
otherwise the input shaft is mated with the crankshaft via the clutch and the pilot bearing does nothing

i once had a pilot bearing problem, usually it would make a grinding/squealing noise a few seconds after the clutch was engaged and would last for 10 sec or less it also gave mad vibrations threw the tranny to my shifter
Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
pilot bearing usually will make noise when the clutch is engaged because that is the only time its actually doing anything
otherwise the input shaft is mated with the crankshaft via the clutch and the pilot bearing does nothing

i once had a pilot bearing problem, usually it would make a grinding/squealing noise a few seconds after the clutch was engaged and would last for 10 sec or less it also gave mad vibrations threw the tranny to my shifter
I think you are referring to the throwout bearing, which is what contacts the pressure plate when you engage the clutch. The pilot bearing sits in the block as a guide for the end of the input shaft.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the input shaft rides along the pilot bearing, if anything it should make a noise with the clutch disengaged, not while engaged
Old 05-22-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
I think you are referring to the throwout bearing, which is what contacts the pressure plate when you engage the clutch. The pilot bearing sits in the block as a guide for the end of the input shaft.
Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
the input shaft rides along the pilot bearing, if anything it should make a noise with the clutch disengaged, not while engaged
yea i had disengage and engage backwards
when i said engage i really meant the clutch relives pressure from the disk allowing the crankshaft and input shaft to spin a different speeds
so that would be disengaging correct?

and no i was not talking about the throwout bearing
Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

aqueeking and grinding noises, i asume.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My failing pilot bearing made a little rattle that only showed up at a low rpm... almost like a resonating exhaust rattling a loose bolt or clamp. You could hold it at the rpm, like 2400, and it would make that rattle constantly. It went away everywhere else though.

When I took my trans off to change out my clutch I was shocked at all the black dust everywhere. I thought for sure that my 135k mile clutch was going to be smoked, but it wasn't. It still had life on it, believe it or not. The trail of black dust led right up to the pilot bearing... or what was left of it. The outside (race) was still there, but most of the middle portion, and all of the roller bearings had turned to dust. The input shaft looked like a beaver had been gnawing on it. $1280 later I had a rebuilt transmission

It didn't make any vibrations or any excess noise, just a tiny rattle.

...stupid pilot bearing
Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i had disengage and engage backwards
when i said engage i really meant the clutch relives pressure from the disk allowing the crankshaft and input shaft to spin a different speeds
so that would be disengaging correct?

and no i was not talking about the throwout bearing
to put it really simple:

when the clutch is engaged, your foot is off the pedal, when it is disengaged your foot is pressing the pedal down

when you are pulling out from a stop sign, and lifting your foot up, you are engaging the clutch, while you are coming to a stop sign and pressing the clutch down you are disengaging it.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I've posted this video before... but would you guys think this is pilot bearing issues?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfJsgZVQN7Q
Old 05-23-2010, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

My LT1 T-56 makes a rattling noise much like that video posted when slowly accelerating in first gear at a low RPM. Mine is more rattly than squealing though. If I slip the clutch a little as I accelerate, it doesn't do it (not that I do that regularly). Doesn't seem to be happen in any other gear, or at higher than 1300 RPM or so.

I also have rattling noise coming from the transmission when sitting in neutral, clutch disengaged. (only audible with windows up, stereo off). Push clutch pedal in, noise goes away.

What does this indicate?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I've posted this video before... but would you guys think this is pilot bearing issues?
I don't think that's a pilot bearing noise. The first thing that came to my mind is that your clutch might be a little glazed. Does it go away when you do a nice clutch dump? My monster clutch sounds like a gang of turkies some times, but it will go away when you "wipe" the glaze off it. It's pretty common for a semi-metalic clutch being driven like grandma on the street.

I could be wrong though. Either way, it shouldn't be the pilot bearing.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula Freak
My LT1 T-56 makes a rattling noise much like that video posted when slowly accelerating in first gear at a low RPM. Mine is more rattly than squealing though. If I slip the clutch a little as I accelerate, it doesn't do it (not that I do that regularly). Doesn't seem to be happen in any other gear, or at higher than 1300 RPM or so.

I also have rattling noise coming from the transmission when sitting in neutral, clutch disengaged. (only audible with windows up, stereo off). Push clutch pedal in, noise goes away.

What does this indicate?

I've heard that low gringind/rattling noise come from every T56 fbody I've ever owned or ridden in. You're talking about the noise it makes when it's under a load at a really low RPM right? Mine doesn't do it on take off much any more, but it does it if I'm in the "wrong" gear, as in I need to down shift.

Now your rattle in neutral that goes away could be the throwout bearing... If you're sporting some mileage on a stock setup then I'd say that's all it is. You'll know when it's going out though...
Old 05-23-2010, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
I've heard that low gringind/rattling noise come from every T56 fbody I've ever owned or ridden in. You're talking about the noise it makes when it's under a load at a really low RPM right? Mine doesn't do it on take off much any more, but it does it if I'm in the "wrong" gear, as in I need to down shift.

Now your rattle in neutral that goes away could be the throwout bearing... If you're sporting some mileage on a stock setup then I'd say that's all it is. You'll know when it's going out though...
Yeah, that's exactly it. I thought it would be a normal characteristic of the T-56. I once had a 94' Formula M6 with 100K less miles on it that made the same low RPM load grinding/rattling noise. Mine won't do it when I accelerate with some "spirit" either.

On the other hand, what other symptoms will come up when the throwout bearing is close to death? Am I ruining anything in the transmission by not addressing it?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

idk if i reposted in your other thread but remember i told you my car was recently doing this? well i was fix by a pretty harsh launch and since then it has not come back
Old 05-23-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine blew out and i felt a viberation in the pedal when compressing and decompressing it
warrenty didnt cover
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

idk if i reposted in your other thread but remember i told you my car was recently doing this? well i was fix by a pretty harsh launch and since then it has not come back
I've done some harsh launches... it seems to go away, not completely, but some, for about a half day. Then as I go back to regular, non-aggressive driving, the noise is back by the end of the day. It's even more prominent on a cold day/start-up...
Old 05-23-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know you have been through a few clutchs on this car
but maybe you need a ls7 or a twin disk (im not sure if you have or not)
but those will most likely suite your driving style better?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

i know you have been through a few clutchs on this car
but maybe you need a ls7 or a twin disk (im not sure if you have or not)
but those will most likely suite your driving style better?
yea been told that a few times

I'll probably go LS7 next time... Was gonna go Monster Stg.3 but was told it would probably do the same thing.

It's just hard for me to get over the fact that these clutches normally do this. I just can't fatham someone making a product that sqeals this loud!

Everytime it does it, I cringe and think to myself "that's not right, something is definately wrong". However, the car seems to grab and hold the power fine. It feels a little funky on the peddle when feathering it into gear while giving it A LOT of throttle, like some sort of "rubbing" is the best I can describe it. But that could be no more than the clutch engaging while feathering at high rpm...

So I dunno... I give up... till something breaks I guess /
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
. It feels a little funky on the peddle when feathering it into gear while giving it A LOT of throttle, like some sort of "rubbing" is the best I can describe it. But that could be no more than the clutch engaging while feathering at high rpm...

/
what disc material is your clutch?

made by clutch net?

did you resurface the FW and confirm it is not warped?

Quick Reply: What are the signs of a pilot bearing going out?