Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Faceplated guys I have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrx8200
From what I've seen no one warranties faceplated transmissions so the trans shops could tell you that it would be fine for any sort of driving because they are done with it once they have it out the door.

What I hear is that it's very hard on the gears themselves and that it will require far more maintenance than a trans with syncros. I talked with a guy who has a faceplated trans in his drag car and he says that aside from the harshness he doesn't drive it much on the street due to the wear issues. He drives 18 wheelers for a living and those don't have syncros as well, but they have a much larger amount of transmission fluid to deal with it as well and are built that way OEM.

I admit it would be nice to be able to do clutchless shifts, but I don't think I could ever consider a faceplated transmission in a street car. Let me know how it turns out for you. I know that in the end streetability is one of those things that is entirely different for different people.

This does not make it clutchless. I am just prepared to relearn how to drive on the street again.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I looked at the liberty gear site after I posted that and saw their disclaimer. I know in big trucks without the syncros guys don't use the clutch just jam the gears, but clearly that would be bad news bears even for a built t56. I'm sure with practice you'll get used to it.

I think also the longevity of the gears is going to depend less on mileage and more on what kind of driving. For example if you're in the city going up and down through the gears all the time you'll wear them out faster than you would on the highway.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by studderin
I remebed alex with the cartek h/c black TA posted he got one, and was going to put of a street driving video? never heard anything more??
Thats cause I am an *******...

Car was down this winter waiting for a clutch. Now it has a clutch and I want to test the FAST102 against my Vic Jr/Elbow/Accufab 105 setup so its sitting at CARTEK waiting on TexasSpeed to ship out my intake/tb/fuel rails.

I was driving the car a few weeks ago and thought to myself... "hey, I said I would post the video" Too bad Im a lazy ****. once the intake testing is done, I'll try my hardest not to be a jerk-off and post a vid.

As far as some of the questions Ive seen.

1. Manners on the street are fine, as long as you know what you are getting into. Sometimes when you put it in first from nutral at a dead stop, you get a slight bang, sometimed you dont, I guess it depends on how the teeth on the gear are sitting. My GF sitting in the car on the way to dinner does not appreciate it, but she is not running for the hills away from the car either.

2. Downshifting is not hard. Would I road race this trans? **** NO! but on the street, slowing down for a turn, I hit the brake, roll my ancle to blip the throttle and grab one gear down. I noticed it makes less noise when you only go down 1 gear at a time. Downshift 4-2 and it sounds like the car is about to explode from underneath. I have 4.56 gears and noth of 500hp, so I rarely need to use all gears 1-4 but once again, skipping gears makes it harder to rev match and all hell breaks loose below the car. If I am SUPER LAZY I start out in 2nd, gett he car to about 35-40mph and hit 5th lol. With 4.56 gears and the power 5th at 40mph is a-okay lol.

3. I drive the car about 2000-3000 miles a year, Joey knew this, and warned me, but he knew I wanted a faceplated trans so, thats what Tick built me and I love it. I originaly planned to put the stock trans in the car during summers, which is why I did not provide a core for Tick, its not that big a deal, only about 2-4 hours of work depending on if I get the use of a lift or my garage, but now, I don't think the trans is that much of a PITA to need to do that.

I know I will have to take it apart every couple of years an de-burr the gears, once again, Ill do it in the summer months and put the stock trans back in. Probobly not this summer since the trans only has about 750-1000 miles on it now.

Guys, I know Im a jerk-off... sorry. Ill try and get a vid up once the intake stuff is sorted out.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

dont put that fast junk on your car lol. And sell me your other heads and cam i am ready to buy make me a offer i can not turn down.

Rob
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
dont put that fast junk on your car lol. And sell me your other heads and cam i am ready to buy make me a offer i can not turn down.

Rob
Never said I was going to keep the FAST102 on the car, just want to see if it flows as good or better than the VicJr setup.

I like to hot lap the car, I always run better times when I get 2 or 3 passes back to back. Helps me get into the shifting groove so to say.

Unfortunatly, as awesome as the Vic Jr is, it heads up like a bitch! Car sits for 3 hours and the elbow is still hot as hell to the touch. On the dyno we saw big drops in power due to heat soak and intake temps as high as 110F.

If the FAST flows as good, and my power stays the same, Ill keep it for the sake of better cooling.

As far as the 4X setup it is still for sale, $2200 shipped in the Con-US
Old 06-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Teching In

I have a sbc with a Jerico DR4. They are a face plated type trans. I limp it to cruise nights. It sucks to drive on the street!! I cringe every time a shift, (harsh gear clash) I don't down shift it much either. It will, but I usually push the clutch in and coast/brake. And it has a lot of play- power to coast so when the car starts bucking from the cam ( cruising speeds) it makes a lot of clanking in the trans. On the drag strip it is flawless. 6 years never missed a shift, never broke.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Jerico is a different animal with straight cut gears. I am not sure that it could be fairly compared to a faceplated trans.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had my T56 faceplated over this past winter. I've had a chance to put a decent amount of street miles on it. Now that I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me at all. If you double clutch it makes very little to no noise at all on the upshifts. Downshifts are a little different. I try to downshift as little as possible, but as Alex said, if you rev match it does ok. Still clunks just not as bad. I will say when I first started driving it, I was like what did I get myself into? It is very harsh if you don't double clutch. However, the first time I went through the gears, I knew it was the right decision. I would advise that if you get this done, at the very least you need a 12 bolt. The shifts alone could destroy the stocker. This bitch hits hard!! I'll try to get a video taken this weekend if the weather cooperates.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Jerico is a different animal with straight cut gears. I am not sure that it could be fairly compared to a faceplated trans.
Actually that sounds about like a faceplated T56. The straight cut gears just make it stronger and whine more. The Jerico is a purpose built trans, but if your comparing driving it on the street with the T56, I'd say they're petty similar assuming you have the same type shifter.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Trans is in and should be up and running tonight.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

Be ready for the "clunk" if your not mashing the fun pedal.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

^^^So then it will match the sound of my heim joint suspension over bumps?? You guys can't be scared.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^If you can hear your suspension then your mufflers are too big.

Anxiously awaiting your impressions on the faceplating.....
Old 06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Same here. I am sure I will find out quickly. LOL. Either way I am looking forward to something different. 12 years of the old setup. Time for something new and challenging. Hopefully not too challenging.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Launching!

One really dumb question. What is a faceplated transmission?????
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ZEMT
One really dumb question. What is a faceplated transmission?????
Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Same here. I am sure I will find out quickly. LOL. Either way I am looking forward to something different. 12 years of the old setup. Time for something new and challenging. Hopefully not too challenging.
You'll do fine with it. Just takes a little getting used to. Don't get frustrated and keep practicing and you'll have it down in no time. You'll absolutely love it the first time you bang gears with it.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

^^^See my 2nd thread LOL. Thanks for the good advice.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bump. Ant of you guys make a video?

I think alex did but it was facing into the sun or somthing and couldnt see anything haha.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

What exactly are you wanting to see? I can try to make one the next time I drive the car.

Quick Reply: Faceplated guys I have some questions.