Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Messed up rattling sound coming from bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messed up rattling sound coming from bellhousing

A week or so ago I had a start "blow up" on me due to a cylinder filling w/ water and me trying to start the car ... I removed the dead starter and noticed about half of the "protective shield" that looks like it guards the gear broke off. Those pieces, or maybe piece was never located. I fished a line down in the bellhousing w/ some ducttape to see if I could find anything... nothing... I beat the bellhousing w/ rubber mallet and heard nothing! So I went ahead and installed new starter... fired it up, and everything worked perfectly!

NOW... It seems like whenever I go into boost, I hear something rattling (sounds like its coming from bellhousing/trans) It will stop after 5-10 seconds. When I got home last night, I pushed the clutch and and just rev'd to make a pound or two of boost and it happened w/ the pedal pushed in.

I dont know if there's a chance that a piece of the starter could be inside the bellhousing getting kicked up, or if maybe I've done something to the clutch. The clutch is a BRAND NEW (Less than 500 miles) textralia z grip (suppose to be rated to 800 ft/lbs trq) -

I dunno, if anyone has any ideas or info ... My ears are wide open! Thansk!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you get water in one of the cylinders? And if you did I would say you're probably lucky the bottom end didn't blow out as opposed to the starter. It sounds an awful lot like a piece could be bouncing around in the bellhousing. I would pull the trans and look around there if I was you. I can't remember if the F-bod has it or not but my vette has an inspection cover (bottom half of the bellhousing) that I can pull off and see if anything is inside or not.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water will pool over a particular cylinder and will leak down into it (w/ aftermarket rails and injectors, have also heard of this happening w/ stock rails) Anyway, yea I know im pretty lucky all that happened was a broken starter (thank you forged motor)

There is no inspection cover on the fbody, so the only REAL way to see is to drop the trans

Yay!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteboycntdnce
Water will pool over a particular cylinder and will leak down into it (w/ aftermarket rails and injectors, have also heard of this happening w/ stock rails) Anyway, yea I know im pretty lucky all that happened was a broken starter (thank you forged motor)

There is no inspection cover on the fbody, so the only REAL way to see is to drop the trans

Yay!
Well it could be a lot worse (like pulling the trans on a C5/C6)
Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had my throwout bearing blow up on my slave when I got the car back together. I was warming it up (still on jackstands) to fill the radiator. Revved it a few times and heard all this metallic noise. Pulled the starter, stuck a magnet in the bellhousing and found ball bearings and bearing housing material. So pulled the trans and what a mess in there. Bearing pieces all over and shrapnel damage on my pressure plate. Gotta pull that off next to check for damage to that or the clutch friction surfaces.

Got a new slave / throwout bearing to go back in. Just need to figure out if my clutch is toast too. At least it happened at home and not while I was driving. Still no clue why it even happened. It all went together easily with no problems. But man did it make some noise with all that rattling around in there. I was afraid I blew something on the engine and sent metal through my turbo's. So glad it wasn't that.

Quick Reply: Messed up rattling sound coming from bellhousing