Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Faceplated T-56 2nd road test

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I havnt seen any vids of guys shifting any faster then you can with a stock trans.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's cause they were all street driven videos. Next time will will hire a narrator for you so it is obvious. LOL.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
I havnt seen any vids of guys shifting any faster then you can with a stock trans.
I personally don't think a faceplated trans will allow a good driver to shift much faster (if any) than a synchro'd trans. What it gets you is the elimination of a wearable part (blocker rings) and a much larger engagement window that will reduce (if not eliminate) any chance of missing a gear. I like the idea, but I'd want to drive one before pulling the trigger as mine sees as much street duty as track duty.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Correct. But it also gives you a more confident feeling knowing it is going into gear. I know in the past one of the things I thought about at the tree was missing a shift and sometimes you over think things and cause a missed shift. The engagement window is huge compared to a syncro setup. This IMO is more practical then a TH350/400 where you have 3 speeds and need to manually shift the trans on the street as alot of guys do.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump hows is the new trans going?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

I have been able to put some miles on it. Downshifting takes more of a blip of the throttle then I was originally doing. And as stated before one gear at a time. Upshifting with the double clutch has been causing me some issues with not wanting to go into the next gear. I just talked with Liberty and they said to just upshift normally not to double clutch. I will try that next time. I have found myself speed shifting on the street just trying things out and it worked very well. Just gets somewhat confusing on the street because 1 minute you are double clutching under normal driving and then next you are telling yourself to just grab the next gear with your foot on the floor.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
I have been able to put some miles on it. Downshifting takes more of a blip of the throttle then I was originally doing. And as stated before one gear at a time. Upshifting with the double clutch has been causing me some issues with not wanting to go into the next gear. I just talked with Liberty and they said to just upshift normally not to double clutch. I will try that next time. I have found myself speed shifting on the street just trying things out and it worked very well. Just gets somewhat confusing on the street because 1 minute you are double clutching under normal driving and then next you are telling yourself to just grab the next gear with your foot on the floor.
Shaun,

Hell with all of this street driving...lets take it to the track and report back

Zach
Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Been waiting on a decent weather day.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Been waiting on a decent weather day.
Best wait till October or November then. Bring it out to Mooresville Thursday night. Been hooking pretty good for us lately. We went 1.41 60' in Dons 4000lb GTO not long ago. Have to get used to the new trans sometime anyways!

Zach
Old 07-13-2010, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Did you have to use any special clutch a slipper type or anything of that nature
Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Nope normal clutch setup.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heintz Racing
Best wait till October or November then. Bring it out to Mooresville Thursday night. Been hooking pretty good for us lately. We went 1.41 60' in Dons 4000lb GTO not long ago. Have to get used to the new trans sometime anyways!

Zach

I know. Believe it or not I am still begging for my front end stuff. I have started to look at other options though. We will get this thing into the single digits or I am just going to light it on fire LOL. Need to get Nick to adjust the low rpm tune on it anyway. He has some stuff to put in it just haven't had the time to get up there for him to install it. Be patient with me will get it there.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm glad it seems to be working out ok for you Shawn. As for the up shifts, just bring the rpms up as high as you're willing to (on the street) then grab the next gear as quickly as you can. The higher the rpms and the quicker you shift it the smoother it will be. Upshifting is just like with a syncro'd tranny...no need to double clutch.

The downshifting is an art that is learned I suppose...and is something I haven't even practiced much myself as our car is strictly race these days. What I've found is to just rev the engine pretty good. You'll learn the rpms that the engine is turning when it falls into the gear smoothly for a given speed. Wait until the right rpm and it should slide in without much fuss...but don't hesitate. Atleast this is the best way I can describe what seems to work for me with the few times I've ever downshifted it.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Jonathan. I appreciate your guys help and patience with the rebuild and killer deal as well. Anyone looking for trans work need to call Tick first. Great group of guys to deal with. Jonathan was backed up and took the extra time to tear my trans down to let me know what the problem was and took the time to answer my questions on the upgrade to faceplating. Overall I am glad I did the faceplating. Still learning but no regrets so far.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

up from the dead hows this going?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

hopefully in a month I will be bangin mine
Old 09-25-2010, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Been too damn hot this summer. I got it out tonight for the first time since my last post. For as much as I drive it I do not mind it. However, if you are the least bit squimish about it, DON'T. I would not like this on a daily driver or if I did alot of stop and go stuff. Each time I take it out I learn a little more about it and what the car/trans likes. By no means an expert but better than I was. Do not do this mod just to do it. Know what you are getting yourself into. The biggest thing to get used to is the little bit of banging going thru the gears. I just keep thinking I am hurting something because it does not sound normal even though it really is just nature of the beast.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

I've got a Tick level 2 in my Goat now, but if I break it, I am seriously considering having it faceplated. I do drive it a lot on the street, but I have a pretty damn big cam and can tolerate more than most people. I always rev-match my down-shifts anyways, so maybe I would pick it up quick.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

I have a liberty faceplated T56 in my nova. Have about 700 street miles on it now and i LOVE it. but it's def. not for everyone.!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Took it to the track last week and it was simply BADASS. Made me look like a hero. Best track mod I have done to date. I even slipped off the shifter going into 3rd on my second run and it was like it sucked it into the next gear. I just held the gas to the floor once the lights started coming down against the 2 step let the clutch fly and just grabbed gears (yes, you have to use the clutch) I did not lift till the end of the track. Thanks to Jonathan and Tick for all their help.

Quick Reply: Faceplated T-56 2nd road test