Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch ??? and now strange noise, need advise!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch ??? and now strange noise, need advise!!

My 02 ws6 is pretty much stock, except for eibach sportlines, smooth bellows, 4.10's, nitto dr's and a zex 75 wet shot newly installed. The clutch has been holding, until the other day i took a buddy for a spin. We both weigh around 215, and the clutch held good while i heated the tires, but when i did the launch (on the street)(on 75 shot) it gave up. Wouldn't hold for a hard launch, but it did get us going. After a short run, the clutch pedal was almost non existent. I parked the car, and about an hr later i couldn't tell there was a problem. Now it seems when it is really hot outside, i have some slipping issues. Yesterday, I did the same thing with just me in the car, temp about 85 and clutch held fine.?? but there was a weird noise at the end of my burnout.(motor only) I couldn't hear it in the car, and only knew about it when i watched the vid. any ideas of what it is, or could be? should i be worried?? please, help and advise!!! thankshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7iT5o7DaVs
Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Do you have a stock tq arm and rear end? If that's all stock and tight I would take a look at your clutch disk. It might be coming apart at the rivets.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

yea, everything is stock in the drivetrain except the gears. I was thinkin that maybe the clutch and flywheel were gettin hot and glazing. Any idea on the noise?
Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the Tq where it bolts to the trans and where the 2 bolts go threw the rear end I seen a few crack and have that shattering sound.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Teching In

sounds like the clutch bearings to me
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

Your stock clutch might be giving up on you. Sounds like the disc is slipping causing the diaphram spring to get extremely hot, and that can give you the impression of no pedal until it cools down. If your torque arm bolts check out, it might be time for a new clutch.

Quick Reply: clutch ??? and now strange noise, need advise!!